Question Looking to replace KDL46W905A

GingerWarrior2020

Standard Member
Reaction score
So I'm contemplating replacing my KDL46W905A which I reckon I have had for about 7 years or so. It's been a brilliant servant.

It's going to be in our lounge, which is a fairly bright room during the day, and the vast majority of the viewing will be from our our sofa which is 10ft away (measured it last night).

Main viewing is Sky Sports HD, Sky Cinema, Netflix (have premium account), CBeebie is on quite regularly to keep the little one amused too. I also have a BluRay player, but rarely watch stuff at the moment. I do have quite a few movies on iTunes which have been automatically upgraded to 4K.

I'm erring towards a 49" to 55" TV, with a budget up to £700. I have contemplated the NANO866NA model, but always seem to read conflicting reports (but two NCT friends have these TVs and rave about them). I've head a read of Dodgexander's guide - but I do get a bit lost (hopefully not the first nor the last) with the info.

Last edited:
I would save up and go for the XH900 55 inch will be much better than a nano tv. if you can find stock now that is.
the new 2021 tvs will be out soon but more.

unless you need a tv with a good viewing angle in which case the nano but will need to keep your lights on.

Which panel type do you prefer for your conditions? You mention the room is bright, and you currently use a TV with a VA panel, but can you stretch to get a TV that is a little brighter, and with better anti reflective properties? For example the Sony XH9505?

Thanks both. I’ve looked at the XH9505, and they’re selling for £899 and £999.

Would the viewing angle from our side sofa be impacted (photo taken just now - Clangers time...)

64C41CBB-A9BF-4E93-B1E6-94429E1CDD32.jpeg

the 55 inch XH9505 has the wide angle and pretty decent black level to. and the best HDR.
I still have the 55 inch W905 and this screen is defo a sharper image the newer one.
though the w905 a little better black level.

Last edited:
The 55” XH9505 is £999 at Sevenoaks but that’s out of my price range, and 49” is £899 so not really worth going down a level. Hopefully there’ll be some offers come Spring (and stocks increase too!)

And just realised with the Sony, the stand/feet are on both sides - and the 55” wouldn’t fit on my TV cabinet. Maybe 49” would...

You should be okay at that angle, especially if not viewing in dark conditions. In the dark you may want to sit more centrally.

Feet on the XH9505 55" and up can be adjusted to an inward position.

Not as good as the 9505 especially if HDR is your focus, but if you happen to be close to Maidstone or Brighton, Sevenoaks have this on clearance. Has wide viewing angles according to the Best Buy guide

You can also buy a pedestal type stand from the likes of Amazon for £20-30

Not as good as the 9505 especially if HDR is your focus, but if you happen to be close to Maidstone or Brighton, Sevenoaks have this on clearance. Has wide viewing angles according to the Best Buy guide

Thanks Vickster, but can’t see this being classed as an essential journey ;-)

Also, I’m always wary of ex-display stuff.

Thanks Vickster, but can’t see this being classed as an essential journey ;-)

Also, I’m always wary of ex-display stuff.
Well it depends where you live (you mentioned Sevenoaks up thread)
Ex display is ok if backed with extended warranty. Fine for LCD...I maybe wouldn’t for OLED. I’d be less keen on refurb though

Well it depends where you live (you mentioned Sevenoaks up thread)
Ex display is ok if backed with extended warranty. Fine for LCD...I maybe wouldn’t for OLED. I’d be less keen on refurb though
Fair enough - wasn’t aware ex display can come with extended.

Which panel type do you prefer for your conditions? You mention the room is bright, and you currently use a TV with a VA panel, but can you stretch to get a TV that is a little brighter, and with better anti reflective properties? For example the Sony XH9505?

So I‘ve been lucky enough to get a 49” refurb from the Sony Centre. Wanted 55”, but thinking it may be too big as it’s a replacement for a 46”

So I‘ve been lucky enough to get a 49” refurb from the Sony Centre. Wanted 55”, but thinking it may be too big as it’s a replacement for a 46”
Great! The TV doesn't come with the same wide viewing angle filter the larger sizes do, but it can still get very bright.

Great! The TV doesn't come with the same wide viewing angle filter the larger sizes do, but it can still get very bright.
We mainly watch head on, so not overly worried about wide viewing angle.

I’m sure I’ll be calling out for help soon enough

The 49" version will actually have better black levels because it doesn't have a filter!
This thread another member bought the same TV, maybe it will help you?

There's also the owners thread here: Sony XH9505 Owners Thread

Thanks @Dodgexander. TV received. Probably a bit of tinkering to go, but have Toy Story on for the little one 😂 She doesn’t seem to be that impressed that it’s in 4K

Thanks @Dodgexander. TV received. Probably a bit of tinkering to go, but have Toy Story on for the little one 😂 She doesn’t seem to be that impressed that it’s in 4K
haha when I bought my 65" my son didn't even notice!

I just sold my 55 inch one today sad to see it go.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom