Looking to replace 3803

slyborg

Hi

Thinking about time for an upgrade to full HD and been looking at the various Denon models as I do like them.

I seem to remember paying in the £5-600 range for my 3803 back in '03 and looking to pay around the same which seems to put me in line for a 2309 but I'm wondering if that would amount to a downgrade from the 3803 and that a proper upgrade would be the 3808, thing is it seems to be twice as expensive now in comparison?

Is it worth it or should I just plumb for a lesser model, what do I stand to lose sound wise, I can handle losing some network and usb features?

It's purely for Sky HD, 360 and HD DVDs (BluRay too eventually), no music at all running through B&W DM 602 S2 front, 601 S2 rear, B&W centre although can't remember exact model and a 16-46 PC Plus SVS Sub (my pride and joy god I love that bass!).

Any advice appreciated.

Si

spooney

I suggest to go to the Denon website and compare both models.
Just select e.g the 3808, click on '3808' when the details are shown and then compare it with whatever model you want. Now you can move through the feature list and ccompare side by side.

MIB

Hi Si

I have a 3803, great amp and even half decent with music. I changed to an Onkyo 805 for movies and very happy with the performance improvements. I still use the 3803 for music though.

MIB

kbfern

Distinguished Member
You should consider a Yamaha RX-V3800 for £699 which would be a huge increase in performance and has usb and network facilities.

They are just being phased out for the 3900,there are still a few 3800 about but you would need to be quick.

You can even get a 2700 new for £499 which is the previous years model also with usb/network.I just picked a 12month old one up for £375 and it's a big step up from my Denon 3802.

The yammy is excellent with stereo music and is much more powerfull than the Denon they originally cost £1400.

It can do the hd sound codecs decoded by the bluray/hddvd players via hdmi.

slyborg

I suggest to go to the Denon website and compare both models.
Just select e.g the 3808, click on '3808' when the details are shown and then compare it with whatever model you want. Now you can move through the feature list and ccompare side by side.

Triesd that but all I really established was the following differences (ignoring things like DSP which never use)

30-40W more power per channel
New High Current Transistor
2 additional Transformers
Quad instead of Twin drive rectifier
2 more independent power supplies

and not really sure how much difference any of those make?

Si

slyborg

You should consider a Yamaha RX-V3800 for £699 which would be a huge increase in performance and has usb and network facilities.

They are just being phased out for the 3900,there are still a few 3800 about but you would need to be quick.

You can even get a 2700 new for £499 which is the previous years model also with usb/network.I just picked a 12month old one up for £375 and it's a big step up from my Denon 3802.

The yammy is excellent with stereo music and is much more powerfull than the Denon they originally cost £1400.

It can do the hd sound codecs decoded by the bluray/hddvd players via hdmi.

Wow interesting, shame Denons similar model hasn't dropped in price as much, do you have any idea how the Yamaha compares to the 3808 and the Audyssey MultEQ XT feature?

spooney

Triesd that but all I really established was the following differences (ignoring things like DSP which never use)

30-40W more power per channel
New High Current Transistor
2 additional Transformers
Quad instead of Twin drive rectifier
2 more independent power supplies

and not really sure how much difference any of those make?

Si

It will give you more 'headroom' meaning even at loud volumes the sound won't sound exhausted or squeezed. I purchased a 4306 for the very same reason but you will need to make up your mind, if this is worth the extra.

Wow interesting, shame Denons similar model hasn't dropped in price as much, do you have any idea how the Yamaha compares to the 3808 and the Audyssey MultEQ XT feature?
Denon has a different policy: They do not announce the new model too precisely to avoid selling off the older model for a low price.
Denons sound very warm. I never had a Yamaha (Sony only) but many people like it.

slyborg

Cheers for the info, I got lucky and found a 3800 Yamaha for 650 which was too good a bargain to turn down and realising my existing Denon has 110W per channel didn't want to downgrade on power in the end.

Si

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom