Looking To Purchase A Yamaha Receiver, But Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenRead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I am currently in the process of sorting out a discreet, good sounding home cinema system for my parents.

The speakers will be Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.0 and the Subwoofer will be the SVS SB12 NSD.

I would love to get them an Anthem Electronics amp but the cost is quite prohibitive so I am thinking about Yamaha as I have read and been told that this would be the next best thing. I'm just not sure which one would be best?

I'm open to a good secondhand amp as it will probably offer better spec when compared to the price of a new model.

If people can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Last edited:
What is your budget, and check the classifieds as I think there's a 3900 going, that's a cracking receiver with HD sound.

Highest new spec'd one would be the RX-A3010 which is effectively the replacement for the DSP-Z7.

I use one myself at home.

Price around £1800

What is your budget, and check the classifieds as I think there's a 3900 going, that's a cracking receiver with HD sound.

Regarding a budget I haven't really set one as I am open to either secondhand or new, it's down to what ticks the most boxes rather than price.

I'd also like to stick with a Uk receiver so I don't encounter any problems further down the road, thanks for the heads up though.

The Paradigm MelleniaOne are suitable for an amp power range of 15-100 watt @ 8ohm and can take a maximum input power of 50 watt.

Since posting up I have been looking at the RX-V2067 which if I am correct pushes 130w @ 8ohm or it's replacement RX-A1010 which pushes 110w @ 8ohm.

If the above has been read/understood incorrectly please post up and tell me, also feel free to throw some other options into the mix :smashin:

Last edited:
If the above has been read/understood incorrectly please post up and tell me

The speakers need at least 15 watts, but the max handling is 100 watts. If an amp's power rating exceeds the 100 watts then you can still use it with the speakers, you just need to be more wary with the volume dial and try avoid being too heavy handed with it.

Last edited:
Sorry I mean the spec of the amps, not the speakers I should have said :D

Sorry I mean the spec of the amps, not the speakers I should have said :D

The power ratings are as they appear and give the max constant wattage you can expect when the amp's volume is at its maximum and powering speakers with an impedance of 8 ohm.

The power ratings are as they appear and give the max constant wattage you can expect when the amp's volume is at its maximum and powering speakers with an impedance of 8 ohm.

I meant assuming I had read the specs according to Yamaha's website correctly :smashin:

These Paradigm MilleniaOne loudspeakers, in independent tests, show impedance as low as 3ohms and have a very low sensitivity of 84db.

Considering that even top end AV receivers are not stellar with current hungry speakers, I'd say skip the top end receivers, which have diminishing returns as far as amplification goes. Get a mid range receiver with preouts and and a cost efficient multi-channel power amp such as the Rotel RMB-1575.

These Paradigm MilleniaOne loudspeakers, in independent tests, show impedance as low as 3ohms and have a very low sensitivity of 84db.

Considering that even top end AV receivers are not stellar with current hungry speakers, I'd say skip the top end receivers, which have diminishing returns as far as amplification goes. Get a mid range receiver with preouts and and a cost efficient multi-channel power amp such as the Rotel RMB-1575.

Space is a bit of an issue but what would be the benefits of putting the Rotel RMB-1575 with either the Yamaha RX-V2067 or RX-A1010?

Top spec amps are out because the speakers will only take 100w @ 8ohm so this will only be a waste of money and power.
I'd just reiterate my comment above that these are actually tricky speakers. The danger is not over-powering them, it is underpowering them and wasting the money you spent on them. Dont be fooled by the fact that they are sized and positioned as "home cinema" speakers - they not the easiest of speakers to power properly.

Last edited:

Could post up some links to these independent tests you have mentioned?

I'd just reiterate my comment above that these are actually tricky speakers. The danger is not over-powering them, it is underpowering them and wasting the money you spent on them. Dont be fooled by the fact that they are sized and positioned as "home cinema" speakers - they not the easiest of speakers to power properly.

I have been looking online at various reviews which have used Marantz SR6005, Denon AVR 3312, Anthem MRX-500 and various Yamaha receivers none have mentioned the problems with powering them correctly as you have stated above :confused:

I know that the sensitivity is a little on the low side with the averaged output at 1 meter from 200 Hz to 10 kHz is 84 dB and that impedance is also a little low, dropping to 3.3 ohms at 290 Hz and averaging about 6 ohms.

If you could discuss the "powering them correctly" issue with me it would be appreciated :smashin:

Last edited:
Are aesthetics or practicality going to control the speaker placement? If so, is the quality (simplicity?) of room correction going to be more important than amp type?
Or will your folks appreciate ease of use or some particular features more than some aspects of sound quality? (Even features that might apparently reduce it - e.g. dolby volume)

Are aesthetics or practicality going to control the speaker placement? If so, is the quality (simplicity?) of room correction going to be more important than amp type?
Or will your folks appreciate ease of use or some particular features more than some aspects of sound quality? (Even features that might apparently reduce it - e.g. dolby volume)

I going to set it up as per the attached picture. Aesthetics are my mum's priority followed by SQ, my dad's is SQ followed by aesthetics :rotfl:

I'll be setting this up and will be dialing it in with a Harmony One remote so it will be just a case of pushing an option.

The important factor where the amp, speaker & sub combination is concerned is just great SQ.

Attachments

• 5.1 SS.jpg
    5.1 SS.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 359
Cool.

(Just my 2p worth : I think it's possible that if the room's not all that big, or doesn't have much soft furniture, then unevenness in frequency response - e.g.wooly bass, indistinct vocals, smeared transients - may be more likely due to reflections within the room rather than amp type. So if there's no adding bass traps etc. then, after positioning the speakers as well as possible, room eq may be the next best thing even though it's not the best overall solution. My speakers are a couple of feet from the corners of a bay window, and moving them by a few inches affects the sound quite strongly. But their room might be fine.
I'm being this obsessive because I'd thought you'd said you were concerned about the difference between AVR and dedicated hi-fi amps, and that level of concern warrants this. But I might have mixed this up with another thread :facepalm: )

Closed at OP request.

K.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom