Looking to purchase a HD-DVD player.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by plank_of_wood, Sep 22, 2007.

1. plank_of_wood

plank_of_wood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking to buy a player for some time and since my monthly pay slip arrived this morning with a nice pay rise :))), I thought now would be as good a time as any. I'm really not sure which one to get. I don't mind whether it's HD or Blu Ray, although I'm planning to get a PS3 at some point, so I guess it would make sense to get a Toshiba HD player now (if I can steel myself to get something without Sony written on it:rolleyes:). I currently have a 32V2000 Bravia (but dreaming about the new X3500) and a HTSS1100 home theatre system. I'm confused by all the technical stuff I read about, like profiles and versions of HDMI but I don't want to get the wrong player. At the end of the day, I just want to watch films. I'd be greatful for any advice - my budget is roughly around the £400 area.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    I won't go into the pros and cons of either format...suffice to say if you want to enjoy movies from all studios you will need both formats.

I've googled your kit and notice your HTSS1100 has twin HDMI inputs. You will find this quite useful as it makes your options somewhat cheaper. Likewise your 32V2000 seems to have HDMI input - ideal :thumbsup:

Looking at future planned kit I don't know if the X3500 will handle 1080p/24 - there is a thread here about it so scan through that.

Profiles refer to BluRay - the format is building itself over time:
    - BD Profile 1.0 - currently all BluRay players fall into this category
    - BD Profile 1.1 - adds PiP features - due late 2007/2008
    - BD Profile 2.0 - also called BD Live! and adds internet features - due 2008

HD DVD doesn't have profiles - all players have ethernet and internet abilities effectively putting them at the equivalent of BD Profile 2.0.

HDMI exists in a number of forms. They all have subtle differences but the key thing to note is:
    - HDMI 1.2a or lower - allows High Def video and PCM audio to be transmitted to a receiver/screen
    - HDMI 1.3 or greater - allows High Def video, PCM and bitstream audio to a receiver/screen

...what does all these mean to you? Well not very much unless you are planning to upgrade your receiver soon to a model than can decode the next gen audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD Master Audio).

Bottomline - if you are looking for a HD DVD player the most realistic option is one of the Toshiba HD DVD players. Your best bet right now would be the Toshiba E1 which will pass high def video and Dolby Digital Plus/TrueHD/DTS-HD as PCM audio over HDMI. The E1 will cost you less than £200.

Alternatively you could wait for the upcoming Toshiba EP30 which will be comfortably within your budget, do all the E1 would, but also offer 1080p/24 for use with your new TV. You'll pay quite a premium for this though - but it will still be within your budget.

If going down the BD route then the PS3 is the most sensible option at present. It is likely to be futureproof and is the fastest and best supported player out there.

Of course if you can stretch your budget by £100 then you could buy a Samsung BDPU5000 dual format player - but if you're sold on the PS3 then you are better off just buying a HD DVD only player to accompany it.
    Hope that helps a little.

3. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    To add to the above poster has said.

As you said you have the Sony HTSS1100 sound system.

I had checked into the specs for this on the Sony site as a couple of people had been asking about how to connect it up and Sony states it does not do audio over HDMI.

This will cause problems in getting the full Hidef audio from the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player, as almost all Hidef players do audio over HDMI via sending it as LPCM.

The Toshiba XE1 however has the separate 5.1 RCA outputs which can pass the hidef sound to the receiver via these. So if your HTSS1100 has the separate 5.1 RCA inputs then the XE1 is definitely the way to go.

If you look around you should find it for around £400.

If you are not interested in getting the full HiDef audio then the HD-DVD E1 for £180 from Play.com would be the best option.

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    :eek: That's a little surprising - neverthless entirely agree with your comments about buying the XE1 with it's 5.1 analogue outputs - assuming the Sony receiver has 5.1 inputs.

Note if you get the E1 and connect it via optical then Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio will be downconverted into max bitrate DTS (1.5Mbps). Note that if you want to connect up this way buy the E1 and not the XE1 - the latter will only downscale to Dolby Digital.

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,188
    Yup, just checked again to make sure.

Sony.co.uk - HT-SS1100

6. plank_of_wood

plank_of_wood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your replies. I was all set after a bit of research today to get the XE1, but it seems the E1 is a better option, or the Toshiba EP30. I'm planning on keeping the receiver at the moment, because I'm happy enough with it. Do I really need these new audio codecs?! However, I think a bit of referring back to the manual of my HTSS1100 needs doing before I make my final decision. Thank you once again.

7. Noggin1980

Noggin1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,175
    The XE1 is the best of those 3 players. However I think the E1 and over £200 of movies will give you more pleasure than the XE1.

8. plank_of_wood

plank_of_wood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One last thing - Do I take it that the XE1 will replace my NS76H for an upscaling Standard DVD player, as well as being a High Definition player? Excuse the stupidity, I'm in a bad mood because I have had an awful morning with my class (thankfully it's dinnertime).:eek:

9. Cybermanc

Cybermanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not to hijack the thread but is this statement about downconverting the DTS to Dolby Dogital also applicable to bitstream through coaxial?
    My AegoP5 has optical/coax and the necessary 5.1 RCA but on my standard def Tosh I'm using Coaxial and would like to know if a move to the XE-1 will mean needing a new amp to get the standard DTS I already have with my current player. (Not DTS-HD, just DTS will do me for now)

10. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    Aye, and we got told yesterday that we're being OFSTEDed on Thursday.

:mad:

Believe me, being Head of Lower School for 5 days a week doesn't half make you appreciate your High Def film on a Friday night.

:smashin:

Steve W

11. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,084
    No wonder the education in this country is in the state it is.. ;) although I appreciate you must work hard between posting on here and watching movies... I just don't understand when that is :devil:

12. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    The XE1 (and too the upcoming samsung dual) has a reon HQV processor, making it on a par with £1000+ upscaling DVD players :)

13. plank_of_wood

plank_of_wood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. That means I can flog the NS76H for a bit of beer money for Friday nights. No OfSTED over here, thank god. :)

14. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,608
    Whichever option you go for, high def is a particularly enjoyable experience.

Enjoy yourself.

Steve W