Looking to pick up a Hades Canyon - any reason why I shouldn't?

jouster

My brother-in-law sings the praises of the Hades Canyon he picked up about a year ago.

I had been hoping that Apple would somehow enable the ability to run Windows 10/11 via Bootcamp in some sort of way as they could with their Intel-based machines but as that is looking unlikely, I've been getting my head around the idea of a nearly new computer.

I don't game on a PC (have a rarely used PS5 for that) so it's not needed for that although I understand it can be used for gaming. I'm wanting to run at least three monitors from it (a 49 and 34 ultrawide) and a standard 1080 monitor as well.....so it covers all the bases with regards to connectivity....so the dual mini display ports and additionally visual connectivity is a real nice touch...in fact the io on this thing is insane

The small form factor is a big bonus and the fact it will run almost silent for my use case is also a nice benefit.

I understand it will move over to Windows 11 without issue as well so that's a nice point as well...current computer certainly won't. and whilst I wouldn't necessarily need any of the 11 functionality, it's nice that it can be done.

I've found one on sale online...2nd hand of course....and it's well specced and appears to be in great condition....250gb m2 and single stick of 16GB DDR on board (so easy to up to 32GB if I think it needed), happy with the price as well....so just wondering from anyone who has one, or has had one, anything I need to be wary of or any reason I should avoid?

import detail I managed to miss off, £500 shipped

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I'm not sure I'd call single channel memory and only 250GB of storage well specced, especially for the top of the range model like this, but it's reasonable for most things they're easy enough to change if you're doing something which needs memory bandwidth or storage.

It is worth pointing out that Intel's faster NUC models tend to be two box PCs and the press shots often only show half of the machine. Here's the Hades Canyon model in full:

hades-canyon-power-brick.jpg

(from here)

I was never very keen on that approach personally, I'd rather have a single box that's twice as thick. But if you've got somewhere to hide the second box (e.g. behind the desk) then you'll get a slimmer looking machine.

As far as I'm aware it doesn't come with any ability to stand on it's side, so the 22cm x 14cm footprint isn't the smallest even if it's very short. IIRC they did come with a plate that doubles as a wall mount and monitor mount but your second have model may not have that.

Ruffuz

I'd also look into ASUS PN50 AMD Ryzen 7(or maybe even 5). You can buy new one for less money than hades canyon.

CPU should have more grunt if not planning on using graphic card(should still have decent integrated graphics).

Last edited:

jouster

Well specced for my use case, so no gaming and basically light browsing and tinkering, so the spec is pretty good for me. and matches my existing config.

I’ve got great cable management so the power brick would easily be tucked away out of site. All my monitors are pole mounted too so it will see under them.

Ruffuz

Well specced for my use case, so no gaming and basically light browsing and tinkering, so the spec is pretty good for me. and matches my existing config.

I’ve got great cable management so the power brick would easily be tucked away out of site. All my monitors are pole mounted too so it will see under them.

If it's just basic usage I'd go for a PN50 Ryzen 5(still overkill but good price) . £300 new barebones, plenty of cash left for ram and ssd.

jouster

If it's just basic usage I'd go for a PN50 Ryzen 5(still overkill but good price) . £300 new barebones, plenty of cash left for ram and ssd.
yeah just had a look and a nice little box, but think I like the fact I can use two M2s in it with no limitation on capacity...and I've got a lot more IO if it's ever needed.....and it means my three existing screens are easily handled without the need for adapters etc

That said the Asus is very well priced too....might have to read some reviews....

jouster

factoring in memory, drives and then Win10 Pro I'd be looking at quite a bit on top...but its a newer machine and very nice too...definitely food for thought so thanks for the mention

Ruffuz

factoring in memory, drives and then Win10 Pro I'd be looking at quite a bit on top...but its a newer machine and very nice too...definitely food for thought so thanks for the mention

Is Hades Canyon £600 on ebay?

Even if you buy Win10 it's still much cheaper with obvious benefit of 3/5/lifetime warranty on all. And most probably getting bigger drive at the same time.

1634412034405.png

jouster

no not ebay...and it's £500 shipped with the spec mentioned.

That said totally agree with your comments about the warranty and a newer machine and in honesty as I'm not planning on using this for gaming I am looking to move in the Asus PN50 direction....although Im now aware there is also a PN51 model with a few small upgrades Just need to find stock...luckily Im not in a hurry to get hold of this

I can also harvest a Win 10 license from an existing machine (pretty sure I can do that) so I don't need that either.

Ruffuz

no not ebay...and it's £500 shipped with the spec mentioned.

That said totally agree with your comments about the warranty and a newer machine and in honesty as I'm not planning on using this for gaming I am looking to move in the Asus PN50 direction....although Im now aware there is also a PN51 model with a few small upgrades Just need to find stock...luckily Im not in a hurry to get hold of this

I can also harvest a Win 10 license from an existing machine (pretty sure I can do that) so I don't need that either.

There won't be any visible speed diff, unless you're doing CPU intensive tasks.
And I guess they'll be considerably more expensive, so I know where my money would go.

Let us know how you get on with whatever you get please, I'm using mini pc's only for last 10 years and it's been great.

Totally agree re Windows, many ways of obtaining cheaper keys or even using it without activation.

jouster

There won't be any visible speed diff, unless you're doing CPU intensive tasks.
And I guess they'll be considerably more expensive, so I know where my money would go.

Let us know how you get on with whatever you get please, I'm using mini pc's only for last 10 years and it's been great.

Totally agree re Windows, many ways of obtaining cheaper keys or even using it without activation.
From the US prices, it looks like the 51 will be at a similar price point to he 50. if it wasnt for shortages I guess the 50 would already have dropped a bit.

Is the 50 what your running?

Ruffuz

From the US prices, it looks like the 51 will be at a similar price point to he 50. if it wasnt for shortages I guess the 50 would already have dropped a bit.

Is the 50 what your running?
I'm using Asrock Deskmini 310 with I5 9400.

Slightly bigger than pn50 and intel nuc, but fits desktop cpus. Next will will most probably be asus or intel nuc again.

jouster

Whilst was gutted at the silly prices some of the Hades Canyons were selling for, they still seemed to be a better fit for my use case.

Managed to score one of the more powerful variants as a bare bone for a great price (£500) so looking forward to putting it altogether later on today

Very impressed with build quality and the spec certainly suits me a bit better

BE74D3ED-264B-46FD-B5D6-ECEEFCAA8654.jpeg

Looking forward to getting all the bits fitted. Not quite what I’d call a PC build but looking forward to first time power up

jouster

have to say, really impressed and happy with the Hades Canyon....it does all I need and more and even does games pretty well too....I'm never going to be a big PC gamer (got a PS5 I hardly use for that)

But the few games I have tried play really well, even on full Ultrawide screen.....

It's also quite incredible how it basically runs silent...very unexpected

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom