Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Looking to improve picture ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cncjay, Feb 5, 2003.

1. cncjay

cncjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings !

I've read through the many posts here but have not found the answer so thought to post.

I don't know if its even possible what I'm trying to do but...here it goes...

I have a 45inch rear projection TV, Pioneer's Elite Pro72. Its about 10 years old. The picture on it is fine. I've had it repaired once so it has a new life till it breaks again. When it breaks, at that point I'll evaluate again if its worth to get it fixed or simply replace it.

Meanwhile, I plan to continue using it. The TV has an SVideo input. My DVD player, which of course has an SVideo output. I've connected the DVD player to it using the appropriate SVideo cable.

Question ? I've read so much about line doublers etc. Is there an enhancer/doubler/whatever available that has an SVideo output so I can connect it to my TV. Everything I see and read about requires a component type connection for its output. I recall going to CES many ago (pre progressive scan days) and I recall seeing a device that improved the picture. Heck, Faroudga even had a split screen going showing the audience "before" and "after" pictures. In any case, Is there anything available that is reasonable which I can use with my current setup that will enhance the picture similarly to what a progressive scan DVD and matched TV see ?

Thanks,
    Jay

2. CogPaul

CogPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Faroujda used to manufacture a unit called the VP100 especially for rear-projection sets - it used to sell for around $799 or £800 in the UK from de-regle group ( the importers) not sure if still available - perhaps check e-bay and see if any come up ( I seem to remember seeing one a few months ago that sold very cheaply circa $40) -

Paul

3. bxd

bxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    Jay,

It all depends on your tvs ability to handle a progressive/line doubled picture. If it can't then...... that's it, I'm afraid ..... I suspect that your tv can't and it's interlaced only. Many of the crt video projectors around at the time (front and rear projection) were video only systems....many current (crt) rear projection tv's are still only capable of an interlaced picture.

If you tv CAN handle a computer input (vga) then it will probably be capable of handling a progressive input and you would need a component to rgbhv adapter.

You don't get progressive on a s-video connector. If you have a scart* rgb input on your tv, then use that for your dvd player.

If you're happy with the picture on your tv, don't worry about progressive scan at the moment........ it will be cheaper in the future (when you upgrade) and component connectors will be more common.

Brian

(*assuming you're in the UK......your tv sounds like a US model)

4. cncjay

cncjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for the replies regarding my query. I'll serach for the VP100. Sounds like it may be the item to hunt after.

I am located in the US, in Los Angeles. My TV has only the SVideo inputs.

Regards,
    Jay