Looking to get 65OLED706 over C1 but worried about 120hz VRR

stoke1863

Standard Member
I own a old Philips 55PUS6401 but im wanting to go OLED. I watch all my tv content via Android IPTV, Netflix, Prime and Disney+ ... so if i went with the C1 i would need to buy an Nvidia shield to replicate what my current Philips tv can do adding another £130 to the cost. Also having had Ambilight for last few years i feel i would miss it now.

I have PS5 and XBOX series S, a RTX3080 gaming PC (but dont use it on the TV just my monitor)

so pros of the 706

+cheaper by £250
  • Ambilight
  • android TV

having read these forums i see comments that the SOC in the Philips can not do 120hz with VRR. Is it conformed this 100% is not fixable via firmware? to be honest i dont see this gen of consoles needing 120hz VRR, but i occasionally might want to either stream my PC to the TV, or bring my PC to the TV and the VRR for 4k 120hz would be a life saver but im guessing this is a once in a bluemoon scenario.

i can get the 65706 for £1225. SHould i wait for next years tvs to see if 120hz VRR is possible?

goonerbyron

Well.. Panasonic have the same issue with the SOC and have said they will be fixing it by the end of the year with a software update.

Philips haven't said it can be fixed as far as I know, and their only answer has been that you achieve 4K/120 through monitor mode (With no VRR/Dolby Vision/HDR?).. So not sure if it can be fixed!

To me, this is blatant mis-selling of their TVs, they're advertised as having full HDMI 2.1 compatibility but you only get a 2K image with 4K/120.. Unless you do your research on forums such as this, I have no idea how a normal person would know this before buying it.

Ufon73

Novice Member
I also want to buy this TV... I watch netflix/prime and play on my series x.
Not I'm confused ...

richard-wong

you can get 2K 120Hz VRR through Monitor mode. i tried it on my RTX3070 2K is the sweet spot for the GPU. 4K VRR 120Hz, you need to wait 3/4 of generations of GUPs for that to happen at native resolution.

enabling DLSS or super sampling on GPU probably isnt as good as the AI supersampling in the TV. prefer native resolution myself tbh

goonerbyron

you can get 2K 120Hz VRR through Monitor mode. i tried it on my RTX3070 2K is the sweet spot for the GPU. 4K VRR 120Hz, you need to wait 3/4 of generations of GUPs for that to happen at native resolution.

enabling DLSS or super sampling on GPU probably isnt as good as the AI supersampling in the TV. prefer native resolution myself tbh

This isn't really true for PC and depends what games you are playing, people don't only play the latest next gen games. Any game from last gen you can comfortably get 4k and 120hz and loads more with framerates between 60-120.

Manner2010

Well.. Panasonic have the same issue with the SOC and have said they will be fixing it by the end of the year with a software update.

Philips haven't said it can be fixed as far as I know, and their only answer has been that you achieve 4K/120 through monitor mode (With no VRR/Dolby Vision/HDR?).. So not sure if it can be fixed!

To me, this is blatant mis-selling of their TVs, they're advertised as having full HDMI 2.1 compatibility but you only get a 2K image with 4K/120.. Unless you do your research on forums such as this, I have no idea how a normal person would know this before buying it.
philips and sony can't, but panasonic can ... I don't think they can, it's a chip limitation

4k 120 is available in monitor mode, but no VRR. For current generation consoles, 4K 120s are not needed. Their limit is 4k 30 or 4k 60. In this mode, you can use with VRR

The most powerful video cards in games with the best graphics will also not be able to 4k 120)

LG c1 is better for gaming, philips oled 706 best price / quality. For games, it's only slightly worse

richard-wong

The thing is for console gamers it's an useless bypass that doesn't work properly.
you mean monitor mode doesnt work 120 VRR at lower than 4k res or colour accuracy. I think the latter is a compromise....you just have to take what the console throws out really.

I dont have the latest gen console so cant say the 120 VRR 2K works or not. but on my 3070 it works.

Achillius

you mean monitor mode doesnt work 120 VRR at lower than 4k res or colour accuracy. I think the latter is a compromise....you just have to take what the console throws out really.

I dont have the latest gen console so cant say the 120 VRR 2K works or not. but on my 3070 it works.
No, I mean I'm not going to pay the full price on a feature that always has a compromise. You can't change the colours and picture settings and that's a big no. Also VRR and ALLM doesn't work on it either. So no for me, but probably some people don't mind it.

goonerbyron

philips and sony can't, but panasonic can ... I don't think they can, it's a chip limitation

4k 120 is available in monitor mode, but no VRR. For current generation consoles, 4K 120s are not needed. Their limit is 4k 30 or 4k 60. In this mode, you can use with VRR

The most powerful video cards in games with the best graphics will also not be able to 4k 120)

LG c1 is better for gaming, philips oled 706 best price / quality. For games, it's only slightly worse

Well none of this is true.

1) New consoles can and do use 120Hz. Just a few examples are the Call Of Duty games and Halo Infinite that run Dolby Vision 120Hz almost flawlessly at a lower in- game res of a variable 1440-1080 but require you to have the console set to a 4K/120Hz output.

2) as I said previously there are 100s of PC games I can play above 60fps right up to 120fps even using my 3070. Even newer games can reach much higher than 60 with no ray tracing so no VRR and 60+ fps is a real problem.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom