Looking to dip toe into AV

ww38641

Novice Member
Hi all,

New here and I’m looking to take a look at AV. Also, apologies if this has been
asked before.

The idea is to augment my stereo separates to play 5.1 or greater audio(think Steven Wilson remixes). I’d like to find a second hand processor/AV Receiver that I can send the main channels through the stereo pre-amp and either use on-board amps for other channels or get hold of a second hand multi channel power amp (thinking Rotel after looking at eBay). Sources are hdmi, so it would need hdmi in/out unless there are ways around that(black boxes?).

My main question is how can I tell if a processor/receiver will allow me to send to a different pre-amp ?

Budget is as little as possible with the intention of buying better equipment if I fall for multi channel or not losing too much if it is not for me, so £4-500.

Thanks
Alan

wildone

I run a Rega Elicit-R out of the Marantz AV7705's (processor) front left and right preouts - my front L and R speakers are connected to the Rega, as well as my turntable and CD player. For 5.1 (or greater) audio / video, the extra amps and speakers are connected via the AV7705. I'm not sure what you suggest is feasible; however others more knowledgeable than myself (eg Gibbsy) may be along in due course to offer more expert advice.

ww38641

Novice Member
Thanks Wildone.

OK, going to sound super dense here but can I assume from Wildone’s post that preamp out, on any receiver, can go to my pre-amp AV in socket ? Naim pre amp if it helps. I presumed that pre-out would go to a power amp as it does on my separates ?

rccarguy2

You would need a AVR with pre outs, a model with full set of pre outs will be more than £500. Closer to £1000 (denon 3700) Left and right pre outs from the AVR into your Naim, either line level input (then set level on your naim to marked position, or to HT bypass input if it has that.

Then AVR powers the other speakers, or you use the Denon as a powermp so need multi channel.

Or if you don't want a AVR then need a AV Pre. The cheapest AV Pre is the Tone Winner AT-300 at £1000. Most expensive is Trinnov Altitude 32 at about £500 million pounds, or thereabouts.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Hi all,

New here and I’m looking to take a look at AV. Also, apologies if this has been
asked before.

The idea is to augment my stereo separates to play 5.1 or greater audio(think Steven Wilson remixes). I’d like to find a second hand processor/AV Receiver that I can send the main channels through the stereo pre-amp and either use on-board amps for other channels or get hold of a second hand multi channel power amp (thinking Rotel after looking at eBay). Sources are hdmi, so it would need hdmi in/out unless there are ways around that(black boxes?).

My main question is how can I tell if a processor/receiver will allow me to send to a different pre-amp ?

Budget is as little as possible with the intention of buying better equipment if I fall for multi channel or not losing too much if it is not for me, so £4-500.

Thanks
Alan

Your budget is a bit restrictive. Keep an eye out for an Arcam AVR390 second hand. I've seen them go for an insanely low price. They have excellent stereoplayback and might save you a little bit of cash.

Otherwise just get a second hand Marantz or Denon which has the connections you need and enjoy it.

alebonau

Distinguished Member
hi, i have been doing this since early 2000 :) when combined my 2ch rig and AV gear for best of both worlds and compromising neither ..

no 1 is what is your 2ch stereo pre amp ? does it has a ht bypass ? you mention a naim pre amp... which one specifically. there a list is below and quite comprehensive but not complete ... there are a few things not listed ... though current as at aug 2021

you will need to run 2ch L&R pre outs from AVR/av processor to your HTbypass L&R inputs on your 2ch stereo pre amp...

if dont have the ht bypass ... there are work arounds...both at pre amp and power amp.

with power amp what is it ? naim as well ? if case am not sure rotel as a multichannel power amp would be best match .. quite distinct different sonic signatures... probably better options around sound character wise. id go nad instead. or parsound or bryston many choices about especially if going 2nd hand can get something of very decent quality...just depends on budget :)

also there are AVRs depending on need... but keep in mind price and features will depend on what chasing there in surrounds formats and level of hdmi whether need latest or back catalog is ok... are you chasing 3D audio ? or planning to stay 5.1 ?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom