Looking to change the cooling fan on an Onkyo receiver?

Silver Arrow

Hi All
I have an Onkyo 3009 receiver, approx 9 years old, have recently had problems with the unit switching off and on again for no apparent reason. Most notably and annoyingly during the England v. Italy game...
The Sherlock in me has deduced it to be a cooling issue on the video side as there are no problems when just playing audio.
I haven't opened the unit up yet, but am prepared to spend £20 - £30 to find out if the fan has failed.
My question is about the type of fan needed to refit. Can I use a PC cooling fan? I have been looking at Noctua fans, they get a great reputation and are said to be ultra quiet... Not something the Onkyo fitted fans can claim to be.
Look forward to any replies and advice.
Andy

Silver Arrow

OK, I think I have answered my own question by trying to remove / gain access to the current fans.
Wow, for saying these are the only moving parts in the unit, they are really difficult to access, front panel needs to be removed, then possibly the power supply etc.
Seems like too much hassle for a numpty like me.
Will be looking at a set top USB fan for @£20 until we decide on a replacement unit.
The financial controller will have to be persuaded, but I fancy the NAD 778...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom