1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to change from Plasma to LCD! Advice and assistance required!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by AML, Aug 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Hi guys.

Currently own a 42" Fujitsu plasma that is only 1024X1024.

Even though it is a good panel with an HDCP DVI-D conection, im not satisfied with the low resolution, high power consumption and Screen burning paranoia! :rolleyes:

With the XBox 360 and PS3 due out soon, followed by HD DVD and Blu Ray, I have decided to buy a new LCD HDTV.

(plan to conect XBox 360 by Component or VGA, PS3 by HDMI, Blu Ray and HD DVD also by HDMI. PC by DVI-I or VGA. resolution 1600X1200 or 1280X1024)

The reason why im doing this is because I want to be able to play console games and PC games, as well as run other windows apps, without the screen burning a permanent image.

Thus only LCD will do.

I have decided on a few parameters and I would like to know if you guys know of any other screens other than the ones I am going to list.

My parameters are as follows.

MUST be a true HD panel (ie 1920X1080) If possible 1080p

Must have at least one HDMI /DVi-D. One component/D4.

And I would also like it to have DVi-I and/or VGA for PC use. (if possible 1600X1200, But will settle for 1280X1024)

Dont care about sound as I will be using a digital amp.
    Size wise, 45" or higher.

So far I have found the following panels I am interested in.

Samsung: 46" LCD. LT46G15W. (dont know much about this panel, can anyone tell me if its good and what it can do?)

Sharp: 45" LCD. GE2. (so far my favorite. Affordable, has HDMI, D4, DVI-I (1280X1024) and maybe VGA.?)

Sony: Qualia 005, 46" LCD. (Has 2 HDMI, 2 Component, 2 D4 and maybe VGA? :eek: but is a bit expensive)

Ben Q: 46" DV4670. (Dont know about this displays conections but im assuming it has HDMI. Can anyone shed some light?)

If anyone knows of any other panels out there that have similar specs, please let me know. Maker, country, or cost not a priority!!

I reallise that such a perfect screen may not exist yet, but may be on the way. Im willing to wait for a while if necesary.

Thanks in advance :)

2. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,312
    I wish I could tell you more, but sadly if you think that resolution is low then you're in for a nasty shock... the standard on LCD TVs right now seems to be 768 lines. I wish I could tell you more about the 1080 panels, but there doesn't seem to be many at the moment so it looks like a long wait's in order.

3. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Well, the ones Ive listed are all 1080i panels. I know that recently Samsung also started releasing 1080P displays. Maybe rear projectors.

I may in the end just go for the Sharp 45" GE2. Its not that expensive in Japan. About 400.000 Yen. Thats about 4000 dollars or 2000 quid. (a months salary for me)

Theres also the certainty that Sharp ammong others will release new panels some time this year or next year. Maybe even 1080p panels. If so i might wait for that.

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +122
    Personally, I'd hang on - I know, easier said than done, once you've the idea in your head. But in all honesty, I don't believe the 1080 panel designs are mature yet. The panels themselves may be fine (probably are) but the electronics driving the panel are probably in need of further advancements.
    Besides, if you do hold off 'til nest year, with the advent of HD DVD players in whichever format, you'll get a chance to see how those panels handle them.
    Then you'll know for sure if they're worth the expense. Mind you, at £2K for the Sharp (£4.5K over here) I'm almost tempted to tell you "Screw it! Take the plunge." - but that's easy to say since it's your money I'm spending and not my own.

Hang tight - it'll be worth the wait. Remember, without pain, there's no pleasure. ;)

5. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    4.5k!! :eek: Thats like more than double!!

Well, if anyone wants one for 2.5k or so, let me know!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will probably wait for a while.
    I just thought that if I sell my plasma now, I might get a decent price for it, before all the punters figure out that plasmas dont have full spec resolution for HDTV!

Im not completely satisfied with what current LCDs offer now anyway. In terms of conections and resolution.

It should be able to offer 1600X1200 or even 1920X1200 through DVi-i or VGA.
    There are some LCD monitors out there that do.

These Displays should be for more than just watching TV. People will want to use them for PC HD content viewing as well as HD TV, HD DVD/BluRay, and HD gaming.
    Maybe ill get the next model that comes out.