• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

looking to buy.

Override

Standard Member
hi all, i am sure you all get fed up of all these new noobies coming on here and ask the same old advice. but i am so stuck.
i dont have a lot of cash, i have been saving my money up since quiting smioking and have had my heart set on buying a decent SS for my home, needs to run sky HD, Xbox 360 and blu ray samsung 1580.
my budget is £400.i was looking at the Onkyo Sr-507, and then came across the YAMAHA RX-V565 7.1 HD, god there are so many to choose from. my head is spinning. its alot of money to go blowing in one mighty swoop, so of course i want to do it first time around and be happy with the outcome.
the speakers i was gonna get, (Onkyo HTS6205 (TXSR507) AV Receiver 5.1 Speakers Black ) to match with the Sr-507. and then i would need to concider speaker packages. please any help would be grand!

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
hi all, i am sure you all get fed up of all these new noobies coming on here and ask the same old advice. but i am so stuck.
i dont have a lot of cash, i have been saving my money up since quiting smioking and have had my heart set on buying a decent SS for my home, needs to run sky HD, Xbox 360 and blu ray samsung 1580.
my budget is £400.i was looking at the Onkyo Sr-507, and then came across the YAMAHA RX-V565 7.1 HD, god there are so many to choose from. my head is spinning. its alot of money to go blowing in one mighty swoop, so of course i want to do it first time around and be happy with the outcome.
the speakers i was gonna get, (Onkyo HTS6205 (TXSR507) AV Receiver 5.1 Speakers Black ) to match with the Sr-507. and then i would need to concider speaker packages. please any help would be grand!

Hi mate,

Firstly congrats on giving up smoking :smashin: too right you deserve a treat!!

If you could bump your budget up by just another £20 you could get yourself a very nice amp and speaker set. For £420 i would recommend the Onkyo 507 paired with the Tannoy SFX 5.1

Onkyo TXSR507 Silver | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

Tannoy SFX5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

The Yamaha 565 i would hazard a guess will be a bit overkill for now. Plus at nearly £300 you wont be left with anything for speakers so i'd put that to one side.

The package mentioned above would do you nicely, you could hook your BD player and 360 via HDMI and your sky via optical and you're good to go.

The onkyo is a bright sounding amp which means it delivers sound that is considered crisp, clear, exciting, has emphasis on the higher frequencies and go well with the Tannoys.

Hope thats of some help

Saf

Marky1973

Prominent Member
For what it is worth my mate got the 507 as a first foray into Surround with the tannoys and he was "blown away" with it all......I think Saf's right, as a starting point it'll be grand!

Of course, give it a year or two and then you'll be on the upgrade trail! Now you've started it never stops!

have fun!:thumbsup:

Override

Standard Member
thanks guys!
i was looking more to the 507 due to funds!
i am sure your be hering form me more often on how to do this and that :rolleyes:

my be a stupid question, but do you need to buy separte speaker wire package? or will the speaker set come with them.
once again, thanks! :thumbsup:

Marky1973

Prominent Member
I think that the full speakers sets usually come with some basic cable (the couple I've had over time did).....but you might need to buy some more if you want better quality or need longer runs for your room...

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Congrats on quitting smoking and welcome to an even more expensive addiction, Home AV and the dreaded disease upgraditis!!!!
The Tannoy set comes with speaker wire but you will need to buy a sub cable to connect the sub to the amp. Do not ask me why it is not in the pack but it is not. These can be bought for under £10.
As above the 507 and Tannoy combination is a very popular one. I read a thread on here a while back that suggested the Onkyo speakers are not the best match for an Onkyo amp (again can not understand this as you would assume they would go well together!!!!)

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Hi mate,

Yeah the speakers should come with wire but imo it wont be that great quality. It may be worth buying some seperate speaker wire which is decent quality. If you play your cards right then you can haggle them down in price! And yeah you'll have to buy a sub lead!!

Cheers

Saf

Override

Standard Member
i have found these on ebay. and will but tomorrow.

Brand New Tannoy SFX5.1 Home Cinema AV Speaker System on eBay (end time 26-Jan-10 19:45:43 GMT)

Onkyo TX-SR507 (TXSR507) HDMI AV Receiver - Black on eBay (end time 29-Jan-10 16:56:15 GMT)

would prefere the speakers to be black, but £30 is not alot, but would have to wait a month till i get paid, and i cant handle my horrid speakers on my samsung any more!
Play.com (UK) : Samsung M8 Series 40" LE40M87BD HD 1080p Freeview Widescreen LCD TV : Electronics - Free Delivery

once again thanks for the friendly replies!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Not bad prices there. You can get the 507 for £15 cheaper in Richer Sounds but if you do not have one close to you then the ease of ordering on ebay and having it delivered is worth the small amount extra.
As for speaker cable, if you do want to upgrade go for 2.5mm and there is no need to pay more than £1-£2 per metre. again Richer Sounds do some good cheap cable and they even do mail order too.

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Maybe a stupid question, but do u buy a single to double rca or just a single as there are 2 ports on the sub for rca, one states L and the other R. help!!

pic below of the back of the tannoy.

superfi

can someone post a link to an accepable lead for this sub, cheers!

Hey mate,

You would connect the sub lead from sub out on your amp to the LEFT line in on your sub.

This is a good lead:

Belkin AV - Subwoofer cable - RCA - RCA - 4.6 m: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

but you can get cheaper ones

Thanks

Saf

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom