1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy new projector!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by maj74, May 27, 2002.

1. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi, my first post!!!! oooh so exciting!!!:D

I've only just come across this UK group, having been trawling the US one for some time.

Lost a projector just before xmas, came off it's wall bracket...ouch!! A liesgang DLP machine bought 4 1/2 years ago.(The first commercially avaliable DLP machine by any chance?)

Have narrowed down possible replacements, given budget restrictions to 4 machines. Anybody own, have an opinion? All ideas very gratefully recieved!!! I've included what I believe to be the catches/advantagers with each, please advise if you feel I'm wrong.)

NEC LT150z (superb pic. when fed prog scan, but poor on it's own?)

InFocus LP 530 (good scaler/deinterlacer, but needs extra module to be fed component input)

Mitsubishi XD200 (good scaler/deinterlacer, v bright, but appears to have rel. low contrast ratio.)

Sahara S3600 (cheap dlp machine, but does that mean poor scaler/de-interlacer?)

I don't want to spend all of my £3000 max budget if i don;t have to, but want the best pic. I can get for that money. Any opinions?

Thanx

2. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes - there is a guy on this forum somewwhere selling a Sim2 HT200DM second hand for about £4k - this is a far better projector than any of those you have mentioned.

Paul

3. Griggsy

Griggsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Maj,

Instead of the Infocus look for the Toshiba MT5. Very similar machines but the Toshiba is designed with home theatre in mind and comes with the extra connection module.

I have recently bought the MT5 and am really pleased with picture performance especially with component video.:)

4. maj74

maj74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I really have considered the MT5 but the AVS (US) forum, seemed to hold the overall opinion that the LP530, since it had a faroudja chip in it for scaling/de-interlacing, was worth it over the MT5 given the higher resolution you would get off the XGA panel.

Certainly I've found the MT5 to rather high priced in comparison with the LP530.