1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy new mobo+cpu together.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by PiePie, May 24, 2005.

1. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know any online shops that sells motherboards and CPUs together, please? I figured buying both as a set would be cheaper than buying seperately and that I won't have to faff about with coolant glue.
    I'm planning on upgrading to an AMD XP or 64 machine that's 2.5Ghz or faster and possibly a board with a PCI-E slot.
    My current mobo is a Socket A based one. I've seen some Socket A 2.2Ghz Athlons, but I don't think I can set my FSB high enough to make full use of it - I think 200Mhz is it's maximum.
    If not, can anyone recommend a moderately priced mobo and a CPU that'll match it please? The maximum I'm willing to spend is £180

2. amped2go

amped2go

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
  3. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Komplett include VAT in it's prices? I'm assuming they do and on the whole they seem the cheapest of the stores I've looked at. It's a shame neither of them stock the 3200 skt A Athlon.
    Do you think it's worth upgrading from a Sempron 2200+ to an Athlon 3200+? From what I can tell there's only about 40-50 (150/160 for Sempron, 200 for Althon 3200) sys marks between them (I've had to base it on Athlon 2200+ because I can't find a Sempron chart that compares with Athlons, urgh)

4. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Scan have offers this weekend that include all Gigabyte AMD motherboards and AMD cpus. If you buy a Retail cpu, the fan is supplied. Might be worth a look.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/

5. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks bjd (and amped btw). Do Scan have regular offers? I can't order anything at the moment - moving house next week :(

6. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    Scan's Today Only offers change daily through the week, and last from Friday to Monday at the weekend. Their normal prices are pretty good anyway.

7. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. I'll look into them.

8. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    what are you going to be using the pc for ? plus i wouldnt discount not getting them seperatly there isnt a problem with it. may end up with a better combo. if your wanting AMD64bit i think you may have to stretch that budget for a 2.5Ghz. mine is 2.2Ghz and was well over £140 when i bought it. you dont have to "faff about with coolant glue" if you get a retail processor. they come with stock heatsink and have the adhesive already on then its a simple case of taking the protective strip off it. with most PCI-E mobo's they do not have the capability to handle any sort of AGP. so if you currently have a AGP Gfx card thats wasted isnt it ! whats the pc's main job i think we can go from there as regards to onboard Gfx & audio etc ? also what components will be added from your current system ? whats the FSB of current Ram. ideally youd like to have PC3200 Ram to run 1:1 with the processor

9. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I'm planning on scrapping my current Sempron 2200+ in favour of a faster skt A CPU. The maximum I can support is the Athlon 3000+ because my FSB only goes up to 333Mhz. This will set me back about £50 because I've got £50 credit from Microdirect (even though they sell skt A chips higher than anywhere else.

For newer chips I'd have to buy a new mobo, CPU and RAM (current one is 166/333 and it's generic so I don't think I can get 200/400 out of it).
    My current machine is pretty modest. I've got a ti4200 in it, which is fine, but my CPU seems to be bottlenecking it - games likeBeyond Good and Evil suffer from the same low frame rates no matter what resolution I'm using, and I'm also hoping a new CPU will improve performance on SimCity 4. I'm not so bothered about new games, there's only a few I'm looking to buy - Freelancer/Starlance, X2 and maybe Half Life 2. I've no real interest in the 64bit CPUs, it's going to be a while yet until there's solid software support for it, and I don't want to buy Longhorn. I'm happy with my 98 and my often unused XP partitions.

Will an Athlon 3000+ give a significant performance boost over a Sempron 2200+? I can't find any benchmark charts that compare the CPUs directly - only Sempron vs Celeron ones and full Athlons vs Pentiums. I think my Sempron performs about the same as a 1300-1400Mhz Athlon in some tests, but I can't remember. I've got Sandra somewhere...
    Is it worth forking out for new RAM, CPU and mobo for 400FSB, or will the 3000+ 333 be suitable?

The retail CPUs - don't most of them come with thermal tape instead of a real coolant adhesive?

10. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, according to Sandra the XP3000+ does just about 9BIPS and 3.4BFLOPs, the XP3200+ does 0.1BIPs and BFLOPS more than that, and my Sempron does 6BIPS and 2.3BLOPS (My Amiga 1200 + 68030 did 10MIPs, wooo). In multimedia performance the 2 Althons are about a third faster than my Sempron too.
    The problem is this means nothing to me. I'm presuming these benchmarks don't mean I'll get a one third increase in framerates in the games - I'm not going to see BG&E jump from 40fps to 60, am I? I don't think I have a tangible way unless I can find some gaming benchmarks that test low end Athlons against high end ones.

11. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    The only applications where the cpu benchmark is going to give you those sort of performance increases are ones that rely soley on the CPU ie number crunching.

In an average use desktop, CPU, memmory, and graphics cards all affect performance - along with the HD Drive read and write speeds and the motherboard itself and its effiecency at makeing the bits work together.

With Graphics frame rates, your primary concern is the graphics card.

( the 64 bit athlons use 200Mhz bus -- they multiply it internally to 400mhz )

12. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there sok A Athlons 64 available? Or do you mean the Athlon 3200XP has 64bit architecture? Either way it doesn't seem all that faster than the 3000XP

I don't think my Ti4200 is the problem, any intensive games run at the same FPS no matter what resolution - in Beyond Good and Evil even at 640x480 the game doesn't speed up all that much (2 or 4 FPS at most) on intensive areas, and clocking the card up doesn't make any discernable difference. SimCity 4 improved it's speed reasonably well when I bought the Ti4200 - the internal one I was using prior is the S3 Unichrome, but the game still suffers terrible slow down. Most of the games I play are strategy games like SimCIty or Civilization so it's really a new processor I'm looking for. The RAM I have is surprisingly sturdy for what it is, I changed the RAS-CAS and latency timings and still hummed along quite nicely, even when I clocked up the FSB to 170.
    I'm considering buying a new card, but not just yet. I was thinking maybe a second hand 9700pro or 9800pro. Just a low end DX9 card will suit me fine.

13. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76

NO there isnt Sk A 64bit CPU's. they Socket 939 and 754. no the 3200XP isnt 64bit

9800pro will play any game on market with ease tbh not with loads of eye candy but a nice array of it

14. PiePie

PiePie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As long I can get games running at 60FPS at 1280*1024 (800*600 will be fine, just that I'm using a TFT so it'll look odd) without AA or AF those cards will suit me just fine

15. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    If you have to change your mobo - then go for a 939 socket 64 - they have the (best) future upgradeability ( for budget buying )- FX55's will fit that board when they drop in the future.

"Will an Athlon 3000+ give a significant performance boost over a Sempron 2200+"

not significantly with regards graphics ( fps in games ) - your current cpu might be bottle knecking your card ..... but not by that much. Your card is 3 generations back and it wasn't top of the line back when it was the current gen - so the newer games will struggle on it @ higher res and options on.

16. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    i dont think that card will run any game at that res thats a few years old im afraid. its simply not powerfull enough. think you may have to settle for a lower Res. if your doing mobo id go for Sk 939 as well, your sorted long long term then in regards to OS's & app's as well. it wont cost the arm and a leg you think for something like a Sck 939 AMDS 46bit 3000+ Processor and a 939 mobo. but its the old game isnt it once you have those its then OO now i need new ram and Gfx card :devil: you end up with a total new pc :devil: