Looking to buy new HD TV, budget of £1000

Kong

Standard Member
Reaction score
hey guys, just looking for some advice on which TV to get, my old tv was the samsung LE26R41BDX.

looking to spend £1000 for a (preferrably) 40" HDTV. I have a xbox 360, ps3 and a wii. so yeh I am in to my gaming lol

been contemplating the samsung LE40M86BD, was wondering what other TVs are worth comparing it to in terms of price and performance.

thanks for your advice in advance

I am in the same boat here.

I looked at the Sony KDL40W but this is slightly over budget.

I have narrowed it down to a Samsung 37" M87. However for an extra £100 I can get the 40" M87.

Sitting approx 9ft from the screen which of the 2 Samsungs would be the better buy? I am going to be using a PS3 along with the new LCD.

Any help would be great
Cheers:thumbsup:

I am in the same boat here.

I looked at the Sony KDL40W but this is slightly over budget.

I have narrowed it down to a Samsung 37" M87. However for an extra £100 I can get the 40" M87.

Sitting approx 9ft from the screen which of the 2 Samsungs would be the better buy? I am going to be using a PS3 along with the new LCD.

Any help would be great
Cheers:thumbsup:

The 40" Samsung has the 'Super Clear Panel' which helps with the black levels, but it is a reflective screen, which may or may not be a problem for you depending on the lighting in your room.

If not, I'd definately go for the larger set with the better panel, as you'd be sitting a good distance away IMO. I sit 6 feet away from my 37" and I'm quite happy with that.

Also the Sony KDL-40V3000 for a little more will worth a look

I have the Samsung LE40M86BDX & can't recommend it highly enough, you can get this online for around £860 now (I paid £1020) around 3 months ago I can honestly say it is worth every penny. Picture quality is outstanding after you spend about a day setting up all the options (out of the box it's crap as everthing is set at 100%) The glossy screen is not a problem at all for me despite the TV being opposite the window, the clarity & vibrance from this screen is amazing. I did a lot of viewing various sets both LCD & Plasma but for me this one is perfect. My only gripe (which to be honest does not bother me as I use Sky HD box to view everything) is the well documented Judder or stutter on Digital TV.

thanks for all your advice guys, I just went to the site burnyourbonus posted and seen the toshiba 40XF350D. Think I prefer the lookds of the toshiba to the samsung, but which one is better in terms of specs and performance?
thanks again

As I said in an other thread
Lyris saw the XF350 at IFA and reported very good performance!!If it is then the XF may be a good competitor to the Samsung!!

does this tv (Samsung LE40M86BDX ) just judder on the internal tuner or does it also stutter from a cable feed ? i.e. virgin media

Reports say via internal freeview.Maybe that is happening and from external.I am 100% sure that in some sets there is judder via freeview

Considered Plasma? Forget the horror stories of plasma burn etc. They hardly affect the new plasmas. The Panny TH42PZ70 is Full HD 1080P 1920X1080 REZ. Absolute quality and there is not an LCD to match it anywhere for picture quality. You can get one for £1049. Bargain and just out this month in the UK.

It's only just over your budget.;):smashin:

I'll be doing quite a bit of gaming on my TV though, won't burning be quite bad after a period of time cuz of the frequent gaming?
Are there any major differences between the samsung LE40M86BD and the Toshiba 40XF350D?

Too early for comparisons.The only difference on specs is the dynamic contrast ratio!!!Lyris who went to IFA and saw the XF350 reported very good performance!!!

Which one would you buy, if you were to buy in the next month or so and have £1000 to spend. I did have samsung LE26R41BDX and am looking for something that will really wow me.

After selling the 26" samsung, I am currently using an old 21" white bush CRT at the moment and it makes me want to chuck something at it because the pictures so bad when playing on the 360 and ps3.

thanks in advance guys!

Considered Plasma? Forget the horror stories of plasma burn etc. They hardly affect the new plasmas. The Panny TH42PZ70 is Full HD 1080P 1920X1080 REZ. Absolute quality and there is not an LCD to match it anywhere for picture quality. You can get one for £1049. Bargain and just out this month in the UK.

It's only just over your budget.;):smashin:

where is doing it at that price and would it be suitable for hd gaming, watching standard definition tv with a good picture?

is there likely to have problems with screen burn , as my kid plays allot on the xbox 360 ?

thanks

Which one would you buy, if you were to buy in the next month or so and have £1000 to spend. I did have samsung LE26R41BDX and am looking for something that will really wow me.

After selling the 26" samsung, I am currently using an old 21" white bush CRT at the moment and it makes me want to chuck something at it because the pictures so bad when playing on the 360 and ps3.

thanks in advance guys!

I really like the XF350,but what about Samsung 40F86?(It has 100Hz too!!!)

where is doing it at that price and would it be suitable for hd gaming, watching standard definition tv with a good picture?

is there likely to have problems with screen burn , as my kid plays allot on the xbox 360 ?

thanks

There are many places, do a google search. This TV makes LCDs look as bad as they really are. No problems with screen burn after running in. Plasma burn is old hat now. You have to realise one thing, when it comes to quality, you really cannot compare the artifical over contrasted colours of an LCD with the more natural colours of a plasma. SD TV on my TH42PZ70 is leagues ahead of LCD too.:hiya:

There are many places, do a google search. This TV makes LCDs look as bad as they really are. No problems with screen burn after running in. Plasma burn is old hat now. You have to realise one thing, when it comes to quality, you really cannot compare the artifical over contrasted colours of an LCD with the more natural colours of a plasma. SD TV on my TH42PZ70 is leagues ahead of LCD too.:hiya:

i might get a TH42PZ70 :clap:

I really like the XF350,but what about Samsung 40F86?(It has 100Hz too!!!)

I have been looking at the f86 series, I don't really like the shape of the stand on the m87 series, its the same as my old samsung's stand.

Does anyone know the official release date for the f86 series in the UK?

Already some online retailers taking pre orders!!Within this month it will be fully available

Already some online retailers taking pre orders!!Within this month it will be fully available

which sites are taking pre orders, can't seem to find any.

Theoritically the send you a confirmation e-mail saying that the tv is on stock

do you think its best to buy the f86 ASAP or wait till xmas, in case it goes down in price or something?

Depends how desperate you are for one, personally I'd wait until there's a few reviews in (from people on these very forums ideally) and see what the overall opinion is. And of course if you wait till Xmas it will probably be cheaper but then it will probably be cheaper in the January sales and then probably cheaper again by next summer.. see where that's going?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom