1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy my first turntable.....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Winnie, Oct 25, 2005.

1. Winnie

Winnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have decided i've got too many good records (from years ago) and want to relive my "yoof". Mainly 80's early 90's stuff.

Anyway, going to buy a turntable and want some advice on what to look for/get. I have done a bit of searching and for the money I want to spend (@£100), i'm tempted by the Project Debut 3. Any opinions/alternatives ?

Thanks

Paul

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Project make excellent starter TTs. You wont find much better at that price IMHO. Ive had a Debut Phono in my system and for the price £140 it should not feasibly have sounded as good as it did. Saying that though if you save till £200 your then in Rega P2/ Project RPM4 territory, superior again to the entry level Projects.

3. Rich666

Rich666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi mate i recently bought a Pro-ject III TT and i have to say it sounds excellent for the money, since then i've been bitten by the vinyl bug! Everone that comes round says how great the HiFi sounds, also you can pick up some great bargains on ebay or used record shops. In my humble opinion Vinyl just sounds better than CD although i'm sure the vast majority of people will disagree!

Thought i'd also mention that i got my TT from RicherSounds for £120, which makes it a VERY cheap step in to the world of vinyl.

4. Winnie

Winnie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the replies. I am re-assured that the Project Debut 3 is a good first step back into the vinyl world. :D

5. DeeeKaaY

DeeeKaaY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a project debut II and it sounds nice but sometimes it would be nicer if the tonearm returned to the off position at the end of a record, like when going to sleep while listening to an LP etc. Very good sound per pound and I got mine in orange, looks great on the hifi rack imo. :)

6. Amure_87

Amure_87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought a Project Debut 3 - my first turntable - and am very happy with it, after demo-ing a few in the price range

7. andy malcolm

andy malcolm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have an old dual cs-505-2 that was donated to me, its pretty good to my ropey ears and you can pick them up second hand on ebay for very little money. probably not the best way to buy a record player, but anyway...

i was considering upgrading it though, what would people suggest was a step up from there? i've been eyeing rega planar 2's but don't know how they compare to the dual.