Looking to buy my first projector. Some questions...

Wernehawen

Novice Member
Hi guys, new here. Hoping to get some advice before confirming my first projector purchase.

I'm looking projector mainly for movies and the occasional sports. Definitely focusing on picture quality above all else and after reading many reviews, I have pretty much settled on the Epson EH-TW9400 or the TW7400 (No longer looking at Sonys or JVCs as I have decided not to spend that much due to the current Covid recession) based on the picture quality, features and value these 2 Epson models provide and the bonus is that Epson is currently having a sales promo in my country.

Just a a few questions before I proceed.

1. Compared the the current crops of UST home entertainment projectors from Optoma, LG, Xiaomi (or the other chinese brands), and if I'm basing my decision on picture quality and the ability to project at least 120" to 150" screen, would the Epsons be a no-brainer purchase and just forget about these USTs? Do note that native 4k is not a priority and sitting position is about 12ft from screen.

2. The Epson TW9400 sells at almost 50% price premium to the TW7400. Is the TW9400 worth the 50% cost increase over the TW7400?

3. What about the Epson EH-TW5650? Does it hold a candle to the above 2 models or just forget about it?

Thanks!

moujik

Hi guys, new here. Hoping to get some advice before confirming my first projector purchase.

1. Compared the the current crops of UST home entertainment projectors from Optoma, LG, Xiaomi (or the other chinese brands), and if I'm basing my decision on picture quality and the ability to project at least 120" to 150" screen, would the Epsons be a no-brainer purchase and just forget about these USTs? Do note that native 4k is not a priority and sitting position is about 12ft from screen.
120" is the max you'll get from the epsons from about 12ft. Take into consideration their massive size as well..
I would just give you one advice I was given and proved to be obvious.. Forget about watching sports in a lit room! It's just pointless to cancel out light source with daylight.

I got a Benq HT2150ST. It's short throw. Sits perfectly on the coffee table in front of the sofa. It allows me to experiment with sizes (16:9 vs 2.39:1) and project bigger than I originally planned. It's 1080p, but RGBRGB. I overlooked it initially cause it's marketed as a gaming pj. Check it out!

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
The Epson is far superior to the USTs in IQ and black level.

I'd definitely suggest you get an Epson 9400. Its got a lot of awesome features, good 3D, very premium feeling machine with some QOL features even the JVC doesn't have (such as an electronic lens cover). The warranty is for a long time too and the bulbs are cheap.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom