• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Looking to buy my first LCD TV... Need your advise :)

Smartdevil

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

Finally i have managed to save up enough money to buy a new LCD TV.

My budget is around £750 and i would like to get a 42inch 1080 I/P FULL HD TV.

We generally use the TV to play XBOX360 and watch movies.

The TV will be wall mounted.

Viewing distance will be around 10 ft away from the TV.

I can wait till end of the year to buy the TV incase there are any new models coming our or may be some good offers during festive season.

So which TV would you recommend guys / gals?

Your help and advise is much appriciated

Regards & TIA

SD

Last edited:

Prominent Member
Hi Everyone,

Finally i have managed to save up enough money to buy a new LCD TV.

My budget is around £750 and i would like to get a 42inch 1080 I/P FULL HD TV.

We generally use the TV to play XBOX360 and watch movies.

The TV will be wall mounted.

I can wait till end of the year to buy the TV incase there are any new models coming our or may be some good offers during festive season.

So which TV would you recommend guys / gals?

Your help and advise is much appriciated

Regards & TIA

SD

If you are able to wait I would suggest that either the week before Christmas when retailers are desparate to shift stock they have bought for the run up to the holiday, or the January sales are the times to buy

In particular retailers have to meet targets and are often running round to drum up sales late Saturday afternoons

But you need to haggle! Don't be afraid to start to walk to the shop door. (You can always go back later) And do your homework. Know the prices including those on the net and those in local shops. Don't be afraid to ask them to throw in a free cable when you think you have them down to the lowest price. Ask for a free or reduced price wall mount if you are going to stick it on the wall

Buy the top brands. The picture quality and performance of Sony etc are worth that bit extra. Don't buy the cheapest brand. Everyone can build a tv that bit cheaper. It's not value in the long term

Don't pay megabucks for a warranty. If it works for the first 28 days it may well work till you are ready to take it to the tip in 5 years time

Richer Sounds often have keen prices if you have a store nearby

If you are mainly into games lcd will do fine. They are also lighter when wall mounting

Smartdevil

Standard Member
Thanks for your reply guys... I've decided to wait till festive season to see if i can get a better deal. I have also decided that i will get a new 5.1 home cinema system with it as well.

In regards to the TV, it seems that for my requirement ( Movies, Gaming & Normal tele ) Plasma would be better suited than LCD. Please correct me if i am wrong

Regards
SD

audiphile76

Prominent Member
Thanks for your reply guys... I've decided to wait till festive season to see if i can get a better deal. I have also decided that i will get a new 5.1 home cinema system with it as well.

In regards to the TV, it seems that for my requirement ( Movies, Gaming & Normal tele ) Plasma would be better suited than LCD. Please correct me if i am wrong

Regards
SD

This is an LCD forum where LCD users hang around, probably you should ask this question in the plasma forum also and then make decision what you wanna buy.

If you game longer than 4-5 hours at a stretch, its better to go for LCD still. Lags in the latest Sony sets is much lesser, hence the playing is more enjoyable. Blacks on W4500 is at par with plasmas.

Other than that plasmas especially PX80 is a good set for the price. Its good for movies and also plays good quality HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom