Looking to buy Head Unit + Sub-woofer

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by defacto, Sep 19, 2007.

1. defacto

defacto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an old ford with standard cassette player and speakers. I was thinking of buying a new head unit (one which with USB intake and AUX line) along with an active sub (I'm not too clued up on sound systems wiring...etc, so I thought an active sub would do the trick).

Thing is, I've only got 2 standard front speakers, would it be enough to buy a head unit and stick the sub in the boot? I was looking to buy this Sony headunit (£70) along with an active sub for about £100 (from halfords). I'm still a student, so unfortunatly I don't have tons of cash to spend.

Just wanted to get an opinion from anyone a bit more knowledgable about ICE on the headunit and sub.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    I would be more inclined to change the headunit AND the speakers before adding a sub. My brother fitted a pretty expensive pioneer headunit in his Golf a couple of years ago and although it sounded good it was nothing special. He then got a local audio dealer to fit some cheap Pioneer fronts and Clarion rear speakers and it transformed the sound and sounded better than some other more expensive installs in other cars!

I would try and get a decent 2nd hand headunit off ebay or from the classifieds on here or another site. There are loads around and you should be able to pick up a well looked after Alpine, Pioneer etc. etc. and add some new speakers. I'm not sure what speakers you have but if they're 13cm fronts (you can get adaptors for Fords) you could try something like Alpine 13cm, which are ideally suited to be driven by a headunit or JBL 5x7. Leave the rears alone as they'll probably do for now. You'll need to budget for a facia and iso adaptors to fit the aftermarket headunit if you haven't already got them.

Then add an amp and 2channel sub at a later date, again look for some bargains on ebay. I've seen 4 chan genesis amps going for £80 etc. Look for Alpine Type R sub, I've seen them on ebay pretty cheap. Obviously you can get a lot better ones.