Looking to buy first projector - many basic questions

TooNice

Standard Member
Hello, as the title states, I am interested in getting a projector for movies and console gaming. I am working with quite a large number of limitations.

1. Budget: I really do not want to spend a lot more than £500 just on the projector. I have done a bit of reading, and narrowed down to the Optoma HD65, Planar PD7010 and inFocus X9. I am leaning towards a B-grade Planar, unless someone can give me good reasons to pay another £50 for the X9. I am not adverse to the idea of buying second hand, but the problem is that I do not know enough to identify a good deal. Any help here would be appreciated.

2. Room: This is my biggest concern. In short, I am staying in a rented flat, so I can't start drilling holes left and right and mount whatever I wish. This has two consequences:

a) I can't mount the projector on the ceiling. This mean I have to use the projector at table level. This causes a number of issues.

- First, is it possible to work around needing the projector right in the middle across where the picture needs to be? The problem here is that I'd like to be able to watch a movie from my bed, which means that the bed should be in the middle. But if the bed is in the middle, where could I put the projector? On top of the bed in front of me? It's not unacceptable, but is there another option?

- Secondly, there is only about 3 meters from one width of the room to the other (less if I have to put the projector in front of me). How big of a picture should I aim for?

b). I can't mount a screen if it involves drilling. What options do I have here? I know there are pull up screens. Can those be decent? And how difficult are they to transport when I move? And if I were to opt out a screen all-together for the time being, is the a white wall the next best thing (or is there anything, non permanent, that I can put on the wall - if it can hold with a couple of nails it's probably ok)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Brokoslav

Standard Member
i would recommend you a lcd PJ, they have bigger zoom ratios and better lens shifts as you will need those things because your room isnt ideal. if your wall is white then you dont need a screen. you can watch it directly on wall altough it is always better with screen, it has better color reproduction and you can select gray ones for better blacks with short throw ratios.

TooNice

Standard Member
Thanks for the comment. What LCD PJ offers good bang for buck in the £500 range?

The wall is white, but has it's share of small blemishes (small holes here and there from where a nail was previously driven through, and minor bluetack remains. I have a relatively modest expectation of what I am likely to get given what I am working with, but is it still possible to get something enjoyable out of this?

And what screen size do you think I can get (and comfortable watch) assuming that I will be sitting about 3 metres from the wall, and the PJ located between 2.5 and 3.0M from the wall?

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Check out the screen size calculator below,the Planar will give a 77" diagonal screen from 9ft.Dont forget the dimension is from screen to lens(front of projector) so you will need to subtract at least 12-14 inches for the length of the pj.

My Planar 7010 lens centrline is about 4-6 inches from the bottom of my screen which is 100" diagonal from around 12ft.

Planar PD7010 Projection Calculator - Throw Distance and Screen Size

TooNice

Standard Member
Thanks. Seems like I might just be able to squeeze 77". Is there a reason for some of the common size I often see (77", 92", 106" so on)? Can a PJ manage size in between (say 80") without sacrificing anything?

Does the usage of the zoom come with any cost (of quality?). The difference between 1x and 1.15x is about the length of the PJ (assuming 12inches). This can be very handy in my situation.

Finally, are you happy with the Planar 7010? Have you compared it with other PJ in similar price range prior the purchase (I am mainly thinking the X9)?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I am very happy with my 7010,but my only comparison was with Optoma HD65 and 70 which in my view the Planar is superior.It's a much quieter pj the build quality is much better,image slightly superior.

I have not seen the x9 some like them some are having a few problems so I cannot rate the planar against the x9.

Only real plus point the others have over tha planar is bulb cost but you should get 3000=4000 hrs so i doubt you will ever need to replace the bulb.

One other point about the x9 it's a very bright output pj,this can be good and bad.If you want to use in the day with some light in the room x9 is better.But at night in a dark room the x9 could be vey bright,maybe even too bright only you can judge.

Zooming should not show any degradation,at least not to your naked eyes.So you can zoom up or down to fit your size of screen within the overall constraint of pj to screen distance.

TooNice

Standard Member
Thanks. Sadly, the store is out of the Planar. Back to square 0 (0 because after reading all the positive reviews, I don't think that I can bring myself to get anything else at that price range, and may put my hunt on hold).

kbfern

Distinguished Member
That was probably where he was trying to get one from as they were the only place with any stock last week IIRC.

TooNice

Standard Member
Actually, that is where I looked :)

It's knowing that such a well regarded projector can be had at this price that's making it harder to get something else at the moment ;)

Ah well, nevermind. To be honest, I would've had to reconfigure my room, and I won't have the time to do so for a while. The problem though is that 'a while', can mean a month or two, but I don't see the value of the pound improve much in that time, and this can only mean that it will be harder to find sub-£500 PJ.

Mad Monk

I don't thing you can go wrong with either the Planar or Infocus. It's a coin toss but the Infocus would edge it for me based on my excellent experience with them when my PJ broke down.

TooNice

Standard Member
Thanks. One of the thing I wonder about is the noise. Do either of them have a reputation of being particularly noisy or quiet?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The Planars are much quieter than optomas(at least the 65/70/700 models).

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom