1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking to buy av amp & speakers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steve k, Dec 31, 2002.

1. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Has anyone out here got the Pioneer VSX-D2011 Receiver, or have you tried it out, also thought of the Denon AVC-A1SR

Was thinking of teaming one of them up with the Kef KHT2005 speakers. the reason for the Kef package is as useuale a compromise with space and keeping her in doors happy,

My room size Is 13' ft x 12'
    Tv is a Toshoba 36zp18p
    DVD Toshiba SD210e
    Pace Sky didge box.

Do you think these would work ok together , woul like bigger speakers but you know how it is .

Any suggestions welcolme;)

Thanks Steve k

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would have thought that both amps you mention would be a bit overkill for the eggs.

3. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks Ian, i would like bigger speakers if she'd let me!!!!!!!!!!!! but if this is not possable what amp would u suggest?

4. tahustvedt

tahustvedt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went HT-shopping a couple of days ago with my parents. We ended up with The KHT2005 set and a Yamaha RX-V530RDS Receiver. The receiver is just 5x65W 8Ohms and works great with the little eggs, which are pretty good speakers IMO. I like Denon receivers best myself, I own a Denon AVR-3801.

The Denon AVC-A1SR is a very good receiver but very overkill for the eggs.

Tor Arne

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Women are funny creatures. You have got away with a huge monster of a TV but any speakers larger than a matchbox are a no no :D

The KEF eggs are very much a compromise between sound and style and if you must have them, just buy the eggs and partner them with a different subwoofer as many people here will tell you that is a weak link. MJ Acoustics or Velodyne make much better subwoofers.

The two amps that you mentioned (especially the Denon) are designed to bring out the best in speakers costing several times that of the eggs and you won't get the benefit out of them with eggs.

Have a look at Yamaha, Denon or Marantz offerings at about £400 - £500 mark and put the money that you have saved towards a decent subwoofer. A Velo in the powerbuys at £385 would make an excellent companion to the eggs and although larger could be partially hidden perhaps.

6. steve k

steve k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    At one stage i was going down the B&W speaker set up i realy liked the sound of them after hearing them at the sound a vision show in Bristol.

Think i will try and talk the other half around take her to listen to them she might change her mind, this is the set up i realy wanted .

I know the amps are a bit of an over kill but thought once I'v got that bit in me house can talk her around to the speaker :)

I do prefer the Denon amp out of the two though.

Have to start pricing them up now:eek:

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Good luck - it's well worth the persuasion to end up with something that isn't such a compromise.

Another alternative may be the Gallo balls. They are "lifestyle" more expensive than eggs but reputably better and you will find many happy owners on the forum.

8. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    The Kef KHT-2005's are really not upto the job, the AV1SR @ 5 * 170W would easily kill them if you're not careful.

Sometimes it makes more sense to get a balanced package, since technology never sleeps, buying more then you need now with a view to upgrading later, just means that by the time you are ready to use the extra power/features of the amp, it'll have been replaced with a newer model, with even more 'must haves'... and @ £2000 for the amp, thats £1300 more then you need to spend to match the speakers...

Although if your flush, its always nice knowing you have that prestigious kit on the rack....

I've just splashed out on a Denon AVR3802 (£499 was the top end of my budget, and sice the 3803 is around the corner, this gave me the bargaining power for such a good price) and the B+W setup (603/LCR60/600)... in a word, awesome!!!

I demo'd loads of KEF KHT2005 setups, and although OK, they aren't obviously in the same league as the amp... and are very noticeably not in the same league as the B+W's..

Then theres music... satellites/subs just don't sound as nice as full size speakers in the same price range...

I thought the missus wouldn't like floorstanders, and bigger speakers like the B+W, but the Sorento Wood Finish was acceptable too her, and the Kevlar drivers sort of match the wall colour (Sad, but a point in their favour..)

I'd have thought AVR3802/3 or Sony STRV-555ES with the B+W's / Kefs would be a more matched package....

But as always, its a personal thing, no one will doubt the ability of the Denon AV1SR... but be careful of its monster power, accidentally turning it up too loud may kill those 100/150W speakers...

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Yet another alternative (and this is my last suggestion) are the Quad range. They are very attractive as a lot of attention has gone into the finish and they sound tremendous as well.

They are bigger than eggs but much, much better and look absolutely superb.

10. ditton15

ditton15
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wot no talk of Gallo balls?

:p

ditton

ps Do have a look at the Speakers section. Or maybe re-post your question there?

11. vee_cee

vee_cee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve K
    See my ramblings here
    Cheers
    VC