Looking to buy an atmos system from scratch - advice please

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by randomperson123, Apr 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. randomperson123

randomperson123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I am looking to buy a full set of speakers and AV receiver for my slightly larger than average living room, and I would appreciate some opinions. My usage is probably 50% Movies, 40% gaming and 10% music, and I am mostly looking to put together a system that will really bring out the effects of Atmos. My budget is around £6k, and I can be reasonably flexible in terms of speaker placement etc. The options I was thinking of were:
    • Front Left / Right: Monitor Audio Silver 8 or B&W 683 S2 Speakers
    • Centre: Monitor Audio Gold C150 or B&W HTM61 S2 Centre Speaker
    • Surrounds: Monitor Audio Silver 2 or B&W 685 S2
    • Subwoofer: REL S3 or KEF R400b
    • AV Receiver: YAMAHA RXA3050 or ONKYO TXNR3030
    My intention is then to place in-wall speakers for the rears, and 4 in-ceiling speakers for the 'height' speakers. I haven't yet thought about what brand to get for these speakers yet. My questions:

1. Would this system seem feasible, and work well together for my planned usage? Or are there alternatives I should consider?
    2. Is there a noticeable difference between 4 ceiling speakers and 2 ceiling speakers for Atmos? If not, then I may buy a 9 channel AV receiver rather than an 11 channel one.
    3. Another option that was suggested to me was to use in-wall speakers rather than floorstanders and the centre. Whilst this looks nicer, is there a noticeable compromise in sound quality if I were to choose this route?

Many thanks in advance for all your answers / suggestions.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,403
    Really you want the front 3 speakers to be the same make and model hence I would not go for the Gold centre but would get the silver one. In wall speakers can be as good quality wise as a conventional speaker (and if a floorstander is going to be place near a wall or corner then the inwall may even sound better). The only difference is that an in wall speaker will not have the bass extension but since you are going to have a sub then this does not really matter anyway since this will do the low stuff (you would be setting the floorstanders to small with something like an 80Hz crossover anyway). Hence in wall speakers can work very well for a AV setup. The only issue with in wall is the mess it creates installing them and the fact that once installed you have effectively 'fixed' the room layout.
    On the sub front, if in the UK, I would look at BK Electronics subs as better value for money or maybe SVS as well.

3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    Forget REL & KEF subs as already stated, look at BK/XTZ/Arendal all do subs around the £450 and up price. If your room is above average size consider 2 subs.

Also for speakers IMV the XTZ cinema range are right up there with the very best but at decent prices too.

A front LCR of M6 and a pair of S5 would be £2700 add in a couple of pairs of ceiling speakers and you would be at around £3300. Save a bit of money on the avr and get the truly excellent and top value for money Marantz 7010 at under £1k. Thats £4300 + £1k for a couple of subs and that would be an awesome sounding system.

Take a trip to Epic home cinema in Slough for a demo and be suitably:D:D WoWed!!!!

XTZ Cinema Series UK

4. randomperson123

randomperson123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses guys, I decided to go for the XTZ cinema range, but I'm still in the process of ordering it all and organising the fitting.

5. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,027
    Well done you won't regret it, good luck with the install.

What subwoofer and avr did you decide on in the end.

6. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,950
    Here is something I like to remind people about. It is easy to stand in a room gaze up at the ceiling and imagine speaker being there, but you have to consider how those speakers get there. More importantly, you have to consider how the wire for In-Wall and In-Ceiling speakers get back to the amp.

This means to some degree, some unknown degree, tearing up the walls and ceiling, and then repairing and re-painting them. Now the degree is the unknown part. Wall and ceiling construction might lend itself well to adding the wiring ...or not. You can make decision that help minimize what is demanded by the wiring.

But, one way or another a significant portion of the wiring will have to be INSIDE the ceiling and walls. During new construction or extensive remodeling this is the best time to install wiring. In a finished room, more difficult and expensive.

Now people do this all the time so it can certainly be done. But you need to go into it understanding what needs to be done and what it is going to cost. If you are good ... then we are good.

Could you give us the actual dimension of the room including ceiling height?

Sounds like a very good system. I'm only so-so on the Onkyo, though they are very popular, I think I would go Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, and possibly Pioneer. Unless you want to go for more of a premium amp like ANTHEM.

As to speakers, nothing wrong with Monitor Audio, though as other have said, you want the Front THREE to match (Left/Center/Right).

I also agree that you will get better value with Sub from people who specialize in Subs. BK Electronics (bkelec.com) makes very high value Sub used by many member of the forums. SVS are good subs at a fair price. They make both Sealed and Ported Subs. The sealed are a bit smaller, as are the sealed BK Subs.

Sub Woofers - Sub Bass - Subwoofer

HiFix the Hi Fi and Audio professionals

SUB 17 Series

Generally brand named Subs tend to be over priced. For example the Monitor Audio Silver W12 Sub is about £1000, and that is not even their most expensive Sub.

Monitor Audio Silver W12 Subwoofer

BK Electronics
    most expensive Sub is the Monolith Plus and it runs about £555 -

Monolith Plus -FF

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard