Looking to buy a NAS

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by WildeKarde, Jan 19, 2008.

1. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    I'm looking to buy a NAS for storing all my media from the PC. I've read through several post and a few guides and am considering buying the Qnap TS-209 Pro and using 2 x 750gb Samsung Spinpoint drives. As it'll be keeping all my photo's and other media I'll be using Raid 1 option.

Having read through posts here a lot of people seem to choose Synology as their NAS of choice - is there plus points for choosing Synology over Qnap?

I'll be using it mainly as storage access for my desktop and laptop - the desktop currently only has a single ethernet on it (I'll be upgrading my PC later in the year) so would this work via my Sky Router?

Also have 2 external USB drives I was going to keep using - would these just connect to the Qnap?

Any comments appreciated

2. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Even though I have a Synology I will try to be objective for you

Both the Synology DS207+ and the Qnap TS-209 Pro use the same speed CPU (500mhz) and the same size RAM (128mb)

Both run a flavour of Linux

Both give you a substantial array of features and/or Servers options including File server, FTP server, Print server, Web server, Download server, Multimedia server, Backup server, iTunes server etc etc

Both come with a 3 USB connections for attaching extra external hard drives, printers, Flash Drives etc

Synology has an eSATA connection, QNap does not

Both have Gigabit LAN

Both will do RAID

Qnap has hot swapable hard drives, Synology does not

Qnap box uses hard drives horizontally, whereas the Synology hard drive setup is vertical

QNAP power consumption 29.3w in use, 14.9w sleep mode
    Synology power consumption 32.76w in use, 11.04w sleep mode

According to the SmallNetBuilder web site NAS charts, the Qnap is fractionally faster on a 100mb LAN, but the Synology is faster over a Gigabit LAN

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190/

Synology is cheaper than the Qnap

Synology £204.44
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=638579

QNAP £246.75
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=654356

Both companies have an excellent support service

As you can see they are both on par with each other for features and hardware specification

So really it is up to you on whether you want a black box (Qnap) or a white one (Synology)

Do you want to spend £246 or £204?

Both these devices will be an excellent choice, whichever you chose

I chose the Synology, because my previous NAS was a Synology DS-106e, so I went with what I know

My 207+ has been running now 24/7 for 4 months without a reboot, and I have had no problems at all, but I'm sure that if I'd bought the Qnap, I would be saying the same thing

Yes the NAS would plug directly into the router (assuming you have a spare ethernet port), and would be shared as a network device

Yes both your USB external drives should just plug in to the NAS

I have tried to be impartial, without deliberately favouring the Synology

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,204
    Will the existing USB drives need to be formatted or will it allow you to keep the ntfs file structure ?

4. JuzzyD

JuzzyD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I've got a Synology 101j and to use external drives they have to be reformatted so I would assume that it would be the same for the newer units, and becuase they are so similar I would think the Qnap would be the same.

5. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Most NTFS formatted USB external drives cannot be written to via an NAS, but you may be able to read only (which would allow you to transfer all your files to the NAS before doing a format)

The Synology will allow you to reformat to either the native Linux formatting or FAT32

If the external drive is going to stay attached to the NAS, it is best to format it to it's own native format as it will have faster transfer rates

I haven't tried this, but you may be able to reformat from NTFS to FAT32 from within windows using something like Partition Magic, without destroying your files

6. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Hmmm ... a bit to think about then as they pretty much seem on par with each other.

It would be connected via the sky router currently (although not when I look to replace the PC later in the year) - the router has 3 spare ethernet ports on it so no probs there

I checked the one of the USB drive and it is currently FAT32 so bonus there - I'd probably copy the files to the NAS via the desktop initially in any case

I assume the initial setup will be on par with each other - this would be my first setup on this type of device (but how hard can it really be)

7. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    Once the NAS hard drive has been formatted from within it's own set up configuration (my 750GB drive took about 5 minutes), 15 minutes should have you up and running with shares and privileges for a total of about 20 minutes

8. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    I've been using a synology 207 for about 6 months. great machines for an out of the box setup. I had 2x500gb drives in it in raid1 so 1tb available.

I've actually upgraded to a proper linux server now to be my nas as I had to build one for another project (a security system), so combined the funtionality into one machine.

The new server is much faster I must say and the cost of build is much lower than an off the shelf product. However its a lot more complicated to set up - installing linux, the web software the itunes server software (firefly or twonky). It all takes a while to configure and you need to be unix savvy to get it running. Obviously the power requiredments will be a lot higher - even with the microATX board I'm using. The psu in this server is 350w so not huge by todays standard but still 10x that of the synology. This is a best though. It has 2x40gb mirrored root disk and 6x500gb sata drives in a riad 5 array :devil:

If you are a noob or dont want the hassle the off the shelf nas boxes are brilliant. My 207 will be going in the classifieds when I get a moment :)

9. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Did you eventually get one of these, WildeKarde?

I'm thinking of getting a Synology DS-207+. I'm sure it'll perform better than the Raidsonic NAS900 I currently have, but would like to know if it will do what I want it to.

Does anyone know if there anything between the DS-207+ and Qnap TS-209 that would give it the edge for mac users?

Also, as far as I can tell from the Synology website the DS-207+ will take IDE drives. Is it possible to mix IDE and SATA disks in the unit?

Cheers.

10. Bushido

Bushido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I use a Qnap 209 and have found no problems at all. Support is very responsive to issues.

Great unit and very happy with the purchase!

11. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Not bought one yet - will be ordering first week in March (when I'm off)

90% sure it'll be the Qnap 209 I'll get along with 2 x750gb Samsung spinpoints

12. apokryphos

apokryphos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I misread the drive compatibility bit, the DS-207+ doesn't take IDEs.

Is the eSATA connection of the DS-207+ any great advantage? I've not come across any drives with this interface, is it becoming more common?

How noisy is your 209, Bushido?

13. ntm1275

ntm1275

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The eSATA connection is for connecting an external drive to either give you more capacity or for using as a backup

eSATA is much faster than USB

Technically an eSATA connection should be as fast as accessing a SATA drive connected to the motherboard

14. Bushido

Bushido

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I also got the 750's. Nice drives never get above 43C even when streaming my stuff to the 360.

15. wobare

wobare
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think it is worth to mention that Qnap has preinstalled Twonky Media. Some units come also with preinstalled Slimserver (which allows you to use Squeezebox). Generally Qnap supports more medial players than Synology thanks to these two programmes. For some people who wants to use NAS as a music server it may be very big advantage. Althought you can install Twonky and Slimserver on Synology products but this is not that straightforward, no support and not all Synology machines are capable to do that (only these with 500Mghz and 128 RAM).

16. WildeKarde

WildeKarde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +922
    Well I finally ordered the Qnap 209 Pro with 2 x 750gb Samsung HDD's from Scan - gonna set them as Raid 1 and put all my media files on the NAS

Due for delivery tomorrow AM :thumbsup: