Looking to buy a DLP and I need some advice

S

Stonejaw

Hey guys Im new to the forum. So Im thinking about getting a bigscreen tv really soon. I have been looking at DLP's and they seem really good I like the fact that they are cheaper and I do have room for one so I dont know why I would get plasma or lcd especially because to get the true 1920x1080 in those seems to be rediculusly expensive.

I have been searching all over and havent found any very good information on the viewing angles of DLP's. What is a typical side viewing angle of one?

Also I have been looking at the Toshiba's and Samsungs are these any good? How are they different from JVC's tv I dont know if they are DLP or not but what are they like? I dont know about the sony's I have seen them in the store they look so nice but they are more expensive and seem to be thicker then DLP's.

All in all what would you recommend I get. I for sure want 1920x1080 res and I know I can get that in a 56inch model. I dont have much room for a 60-62 inch or anything.

Thanks!

Tarbat

I may be wrong, but I don't think there are any 1920x1080 DLP TVs available in the UK. Only SXRD and LCoS RPTVs offer 1080 on UK models.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
What is a typical side viewing angle of one?
When you say "DLP" do you actually mean "DLP", or do you just mean "rear projection"? :)

Anyway, to answer your question, most RPTVs have reasonable horizontal viewing angles but very narrow vertical ones. The horizontal viewing angle is narrower than a typical LCD screen, but it's not usually a major issue.

S

Stonejaw

Ok mabey I should clarify some things firstly I am in Canada and I do know there are 1080p DLP rear projection tvs available, like the Samsung HL-S5687W. As for viewing angles what are we looking at on these TVs? No specs on any site seem to list them like they do for LCD's and plasmas.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
This website is quite heavily biased towards the UK and products available in the UK, so we may not be able to help you very much with questions about products that are not for sale here.

:oops:

You could try the (even more vast) american equivalent of this site which is at www.avsforum.com. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom