Looking to buy a digital camera.....any advise

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Frosties Kid, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Frosties Kid

Frosties Kid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi peeps,
    Sorry to bother you which such an annoying question, but I am after a camera with certain specs.
    I have been comparing specs pages for hours and they all have different pieces of info missing so I thought I'd try a good ol' forum Very Happy
    I am after a digital camera with:
    At least 7MP
    Records video in AVI hopefully at minimum of 640 x 480
    Internal rechargable battery (I don't want one with AA or AAAs at all)

Any ideas what a good model would be?
    I do like good electrical brands, Sony being top choice, but I think all Sony cams record movie in MPEG and not AVI.
    Are there any brands I should look out for that use AVI only?

Any help appreciated
    Thanks

2. Pirate!!

Pirate!!
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,217
    Not sure without extensive research. What type of cam are you after - point and shoot . . . prosumer/bridge?

Have a look at the Panasonic DMC-FZ8 and DMC-TZ3 to start.

3. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    I would suggest that you not concentrate too much on the video specs. Most current models record more than 640X 480 ( vga) anyway although the recording framerate may differ. It would depend on the intended use of the video
    Sony models tend to record as mpeg
    Why AVI? AVI is not a format: It is a "wrapper" which can contain files encoded in various different codecs . As used by Digital stills it could be any of the mpeg4 variants (Mp4, divx xvid ect) or mjpeg. There are capable video software converters anyway

Camcorders record to DV AVI which is completely different.
    7Mp in this day and age should also be fairly standard
    but
    It refers to the Pixel resolution ( and file size :eek: ) rather than a specific factor which defines quality of the image. That would depend on lens, sensor and image processing electronics and rather less on the absolute no of photosites. (pixels!)
    I would suggest that you state what your research has shown you and make a small shortlist for folk to comment on bearing in mind that we are rather less focused on how many pixels but how good the recorded ones are, and the fact that digital stills video abilities vary and compromises may be made when tryin to make a good digital still with good video as well.