Looking to buy a 32" Wisescreen TV (slim fit, not LCD) - can anyone advise me?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Mama_Lazarou, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Mama_Lazarou

Mama_Lazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I'm wondering if any of you kind souls might be able to spare a moment to help me (a fairly clueless female) decide on the best purchase? :lease:

I'm looking to spend no more than £400 (but the cheaper the better!) on a widescreen, slim fit TV. Due to the location of it in my lounge it really can't be one of those big bottomed monsters. Also due to size of lounge and proximity to sofas it really does need to be about a 32" although I would consider a 28" for the right price and on strong recommendation.

It's mostly just for TV/DVD/Sky sports etc - good overall picture and sound are a must. 3 SCARTS would be good but I don't think I can really be that choosey!

I had been half persuaded by the Samsung WS32Z306V which is less than £400 in Currys right now but read some of your user reviews and have now scrapped that notion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - you kind, lovely people!

Many thanks in advance,

Mama Laz :)

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    Hi, Samsung now do a range of Slim CRT TV's - have a look here - scroll down the page to the 7th and 8th models, you may find what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Ascari

Ascari

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
  4. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Also available at Argos if you want to take advantage of their 0% credit deals.

As mentioned in another thread, its debatable if the new HD Ready Slim Fit Samsung will retail at £350, but it does look like a nice option for those who don't want to splash out on a grands worth of LCD.

5. Mama_Lazarou

Mama_Lazarou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for your help so far guys. The Samsung WS32Z306VB, highlighted a few times now, got pretty bad press in another thread around Christmas time though (if I had the know-how I'd copy and paste a link in to show you). The subject was initially the 308 model (someone had got it on discount) but mention was made later to the 306 as well. Any thoughts? It was my first choice I have to say....but I'm quite keen to see if this new Samsung does indeed retail for £350.

Sorry to be a pain. With money sadly still not growing on trees I really don't want to fork out for a duff TV only to change it within a few months.

Am thinking though, short of paying the extra for an LCD, the options available in (true) slim fit TVs are pretty limited?!

:)

6. PICKY737

PICKY737

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    if the new Sammy HD slimfit will have a digital tuner?

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    The options on slim CRT's are indeed slim - in fact, Samsung are the only ones to my knowledge.

As to knowledge of the individual sets, I am sorry I have no experience whatsoever of them and will therefore bow out.

Best of luck in your hunt.

Cheers,

Martin.

8. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Yes, there was a thread here documenting the cons of this TV and it sounds as if the Samsung could almost be a good TV but let down with some fundamental picture issues, shame really as I was looking into this TV at one point.

Here's a thread discussing a compact Toshiba model, but has similar concerns..

9. aekostas

aekostas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Sorry for the blanket statement, but slimline CRTs have one very clear compromise of style over everything.

I am the broken record of this forum: don't buy unless you see the TV playing somewhere.

10. omega22

omega22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are geometry issues with this telly, but having seen one working in the shop it looked by far the best picture to me. Very sharp, gorgeous colours compared to all the LCDs around it. I bought one, but when it arrived it had speed bumps on it. Got the engineer in who said that it was outwith normal spec. and suggested I get them to send me another one. I must say this one is really good, no geometry problem at all and a perfect match for the new Samsung DVD-HR720 recorder I just purchased.

11. davt99

davt99
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just have to say I have the Samsung 306 slimline TV and its a great picture - far better than a friends Panasonic HD TV ready LCD. No geometry problems at all. For less than £400 its a great buy. Its not HD ready but apart from Xbox 360 games who is. HD won't be commonplace for several years yet - I will then buy am LCD then - there might be some decent ones availble at a realistic price.

12. alexjascott

alexjascott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw a 306 in Currys the other day (Tuesday). It was next to a Phillips 100hz and a Samsung 100hz (no idea on model numbers), and while the picture quality wasnt quite as good, I would definitely class it as 'mid range'.
    I couldnt notice any poor geometry myself, but I was limited to the 5 channels showing at the time. Maybe the poor geometry was an early production problem, now solved?

It is a beautiful looking set.

13. number_3

number_3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I also have a 306, and it does have slight geometry problems but only
    slight, which many flat screen CRT seem to have anyway, but apart from
    that it’s a great picture, colors & sharpness are great. The problem with
    viewing a TV in a place like curry’s is that they are all fed off the same analog
    feed so all look poo, ask them to set one up so you can see what the picture
    will really look like once you have it set up at home, how curry’s / comet sell
    any TV's with this set up is beyond me.

14. BYF

BYF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
  15. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    whats the difference between the :-

samsung 32Z306
    &
    samsung 32Z308

16. thesnowman

thesnowman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    currently wheres the cheapish place I can get one of these set

Everywhere I seen so far is listing them for £400, I thought the price would have dropped cause of the new HD ready model coming out