1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to buy 7ft Electric Screen - what do you recommend ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jmbrailsford, Sep 2, 2005.

1. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi,
    as per the title I am looking for a 7ft wide screen ( think that's about 200cm viewing area ).

Case not to be any wider than 220cm if possible.

Budget is absolute max of £1000 but would obviously prefer to be around the £500 - £600 and suitable for an Infocus 7200 or 7205 projector in a room that I will be able to control the ambient light, although I will also use it without a total blackout at times.

I have so far looked at prices for Beamax, Owl, DRH, Stewart ( way too dear unfort ) and also Infocus screens as well which are about £600 for a 7ft electric version.

Any help / advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike.

:thumbsup:

2. dblain

dblain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mike, I've just installed the Owl 6ft Motorised Screen but only had chance to use it once !!!! Still waiting for the carpet fitter to arrive so can finally ceiling mount the pj without killing it with dust.

Total length of the unit is circa 2m, 5cm border either side plus a bit more for the end casing, sorry I cannot give exact size as it's hidden in my ceiling void.

From the single use I can say it's great ( with Sony HS-50 ) but will set you back the whole of your budget.

Good luck, DB.

3. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi DB,
    thanks for the info, let me know how you get one once more use has been made of it.

I am tending to look to the Infocus screens as they should be a perfect match for thir own PJ's ( you would hope so anyway ! ).

Their 7ft version comes in at £650 inc P+P however NOT tab tensioned which I know one of the Owl versions is at about £1000.

Decisions, decisions.............

:cool:

4. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Mike
    What did you do in the end? I'm looking to use a 7205 - and am unsure yet which way to go with the screen (fixed or electric) - and which make...? I'm actually quite keen on using a Beamax fixed screen - and use two hooks in the ceiling. I have plenty of room to put the screen if I ever want to take it down. I'm also assuming that the screen will be better as it is perfectly flat.
    Regards
    Si

5. jmbrailsford

jmbrailsford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Hi,
    I eventually went for an Ellie Advantage 200 Electric screen, cost just under £500 from Screens UK.

I did have a Beamax M Compact 7ft on order but it was going to take 5 - 6 weeks to arrive as they had to manufacture it ( cost £330 ), so I decided to cancel that one, and GUESS WHAT sod's law - still not got the Ellie installed yet as room not ready ( started room beginning October ).

I could easily have waited on the Beamax and saved £200 into the bargain, never mind the Ellie is a good looking screen - well the case is anyway LOL.

Check out my thread for more deatils of the work being done Our Garage Conversion

6. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Went into see my local dealer yesterday - and given the fact that I couldn't decide which screen to go for - finally went with his recommendation - an 8' OWL - like the one they use in their demo room - and it looks good in there!

Fingers crossed!

Si

7. carlymart

carlymart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    you will not regret the owl i have just put in a 183cm 6 feet wide one in and its great much better than the cheeper ones i have seen and thats ruing an a buget projector
    if you are installing it yourself and its in to the joists buy a joist finder from b&q for a tenner great tool and saved a lot of worry if i had it in the right place

8. chalkstorm

chalkstorm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that carlymart - always good for some moral support!

I have already located the joist - running the full length of where the screen will live - 25cm from the wall which will allow room for a plasma + bracket. I'm also planning to fix a 9" piece of wood just infront of the screen housing - which will hide it from view (hopefully) when it is in the 'up' position.

Cheers

Si