Looking to buy 500-750gig hard drive

delboyuk2005uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Will be looking to purchase one in next week or so. I have a few questions before I lay my money down

Anyone got a 500-750gig hardrive in there xbox?

I have the xbox version 1.1 with all the latest slayers 7.2 apps on it.

I am aware I can have 500-750 hard drive in my xbox but will have to spread the memory over my f and g drives

500 will be 250 and 250

750 will be 370 and 370

has anyone managed to do this at all?

What hard drives do you think I should be looking for and where will be the best place to buy them from.

and how much will i be looking for a 500gig or 750gig?

thanks for any help in advance

Large hard drives like that are not recomended for the XB and 137gb will be F rest with have to go on G

i was looking for bigger drives a few days ago, and savastore and ebuyer seemed to have the best prices, also check misco and aria and ebuyer.

for £70 delivered (i think) savastore had a 400gig IDE drive. the 500gig drives are about £30-40 more, so over 50% more cost for 25% more storage. the 750gig drives were pretty damn expensive, about £175+

i would suggest a 400gig drive at £70 would probably be fine, as it would take a while to fill that up, and when you do, the bigger drives might then come down in price a bit more

There's two reasons for having F/G split and neither are anything to do with the retail bios: one is to stop the corruption that happens if you have a partition larger than 256GB (assuming your G drive doesn't also end up larger than that), and two is to allow people who for some reason boot a non-retail bios that doesn't have LBA48 support (debug bioses, some old modchip bioses, etc) to still access F safely.

cool so the 400gig ones give best value for money then?

i dont think ill have a problem with a 400gig hard drive spread over f and g drive

cool so the 400gig ones give best value for money then?

i dont think ill have a problem with a 400gig hard drive spread over f and g drive

if you are after a big drive, then the 400g is far better value than anything bigger, you might be able to get a 320gig for a little bit cheaper, but not much. microdirect were offering a 500gig drive for £111 not inc delivery, personally i don't think it's worth £30 for another 100gig, and remember it's not all usuable space, a 320gig drive gives you about 300gig usable once formatted in NTFS, not sure what you loose with XFS but probably about the same

you might want to do a bit of checking elsewhere online before ordering, as i read that you need to be able to lock the drive and not all HD's let you do it. one of the sites commonly posted on the softmod thread here has links to what drives have been tested to work or not

if you do get it to work, please post the drive type and cost. i'll prolly get the 400gig drive myself to replace a couple of other drives and use then to upgrade my xbox and PVR, upgrading 3 things in one go for £70

drives over 250gb have reduced life span there was a big thing about it few months ago it's to do with the motors having to work hard.

drives over 250gb have reduced life span there was a big thing about it few months ago it's to do with the motors having to work hard.

The motors have to work just as hard on smaller drives. The distance they travel will be similar ... So I dont see any reason why the above statement could be true.

I will stand corrected if you post a link to the above information from a reputed source.

is it a ide hard drive i need?

yup, IDE, and PATA is the old type drive (it just used to be called ATA, and than there were ATA66 (which is xbox speed) ATA100 and ATA133 which were slightly faster but compatible versions), and SATA is the new type which has a different physical connection and sometimes a different power supply connection too.

p-parallel
s- serial

the SATA drives can be faster, but the xbox can't use those drives, it accesses at ATA66 speed and can't read faster if you get a 7200RPM drive over a 5400RPM one, but it's pretty hard to find a 3.5" 5400 RPM drive these days, so as long as it's ATA/PATA and not SATA you will be fine. the older PATA drivers are generally slightly cheaper than the SATA ones, but prices are getting closer every month as SATA becomes more popular and in use

does the hard drive need to be locked? as i wont be using it for xbox live?

The hard drive must be locked, in order for the Xbox to use the hard drive.
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list
This list contains most hard drives that can be used on the Xbox.
I run a Seagate 400GB 16MB PATA drive on my Xbox.

Plus make sure you backup your EEPROM, from your original Xbox hard drive.

how easy was it to install the 400g hard drive chanser?

can you tell me what you did

and have you had any problems?

what seagate drive did u get?

Got a 320GB 7200.10 a month ago, also the 750GB 7200.10 is reported to work with the xbox....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom