Looking to build a VHS to Digital system

Mado

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Lurker here for years - thanks to all of you for your superb advice and posts! I've made so many purchases based on what you guys have recommended here and it's been brilliant, always.

I'm now trying to convert a large number of old VHS tapes (various recording types) to digital files. I would like to prioritise quality for posterity - so have been looking for a JVC recorder in the professional series/range. I would also like to find one which is both PAL and NTSC compatible, if that exists? As I have both (and it would be a pain to buy 2 players!). So I've been looking for something like the JVC HR-S9900U or JVC HR-S9700EK/EU (which I think is the same as the JVC HR-S9600U?).

Would you guys have any other advice for me on this? I want to convert them straight to digital files - so was going to find a decent, Mac compatible, converter cable - if anyone has a recommendation for these (or if they're much of a muchness, would be welcome to know that too!).

Hope this is in the right forum - thank you in advance!

How much do you want to spend ? Blackmagic do a good range of capture devices, can pick them off e-bay for between £50 and £100.

Those models you mention will all do a good job. A mate of mine set up a little business over lockdown converting tapes and he has a couple of those plugged into his PC with a Pinnacle capture card.

Quality is pretty good, but if you can find the component card that Blackmagic did a few years ago, that might be even better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom