Looking to build a MCE P.C

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by csd7025, Mar 13, 2006.

1. csd7025

csd7025

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Hi,

As per title im going to start from fresh and with the help of my brother build a MCE pc. Going to use it for xbox 360, hd streaming to my Lg32lx2r LCD HD tv and internet(of course). not going to use it for gaming. My bro thinks he should be able to spec it up for around £300, its not that i dont trust him but just wondering (as i know very little) what are the internal components i will need. and what do they cost. This needs to be cheap as im getting engaged:)suicide: ) soon and also need to sort out a decent sound system (av reciver,speakers..etc) asap.
    Cheers in advance.
    Del

2. TiSwAs

TiSwAs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  3. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'm not sure thats true if the OP's goal is to simply setup a system to supply the 360 with prestored data. This removes the need for an expensive video card so the main cost would be MCE and hard drives. I'm not sure of minimum specs but I can't imagine MCE needs a super fast processor if the 360 is to do most of the work. Now if your looking for a complete MCE system with PVR abilities then £300 is probably stretching it.

4. csd7025

csd7025

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yep no video card needed(GEFORCE 2 out of my old machine). what is PVR?

5. stlic

stlic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    PVR = Personal Video Recoder. Basically, using the MCE interface to record via a DVB-T (Digital Terrestrial) MCE compatible card or external video input (say Sky Digital) directly onto the hard drive. You can also use this system for freezing live video or if you've got dual tuners recording one channel whilst watching another.

If all you want to do is use your 360 to stream DVDs/Music from a main box then as I said the system wouldn't need to be that advanced I don't think, although hard drive space might cost some. Having never used MCE with an extender unit (like the 360 is) I don't know whether you need to display the MCE interface on the server machine if you are planning to use the 360 only.

I would have thought an installation of MCE on an existing machine might suffice if all the PC need to do is stream to the 360. I'm thinking that perhaps your server PC doesn't need to show the whole MCE interface and instead run the services required in the background. Not sure if it would work like that but if it doesn't it should have been designed to:). It might be worth trying it out on your existing PC to see whether you like the interface etc before spending on the parts required for a dedicated server PC. Bear in mind that DivX playback requires converting the video on the fly to wmv and then sending to the 360 which may required some grunt.

EDIT: I'm quite interested in this myself and it seems that you can use your MCE PC as normal whist the extender (in this case a 360) is active. That would be fine for streaming DVDs/Music/Pictures directly to your 360 from your existing PC.

6. csd7025

csd7025

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    thanks for your help. my pc at the momment is compleate rubbish (like my spelling) so im gonna build one although i think ill put some of mine into the new build to save some cash(could alwys upgrade later.

Cheers.