Looking into buying a set of surround speakers for Marantz 1603

Andrei Pavel

Standard Member
Reaction score
I currently own a Marantz nr1603 7.1 receiver and a pair of Monitor Audio BR2 speakers, which I will use as my main front speakers. I am looking into buying a set of 5.1 speakers to complete my 7.1 setup. I will use my Monitor Audio speakers in stereo mode for listening to music, because I prefer classic stereo sound than mixing it through 7 speakers, so I will only use these 5.1 speakers as complementary speakers when watching movies and playing the games. Currently my Monitor Audio speakers are placed high on the wall. I have 2 options: one would be to keep them there and use the 4 complementary speakers as Rear and Side surround channels and the other one would be to get them down, and use the complementary speakers as rear surround and height speakers (dolby prologic IIz).
I have the following options:
1. Canton Movie 85 CX (Canton 02748 Movie 85 CX 5.1 Speakers - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics)
2. Boston Acoustics MKII (Boston Acoustics 5.1 MKII Surround Sound Speaker System - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics)
3. Jamo 102 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jamo-A102HC...s&ie=UTF8&qid=1365972258&sr=1-1&keywords=jamo)
I used some canton speakers in the past and i was fairly satisfied with them (although, they were big, floorstanding 4 way speakers). And, also, the price of the Cantons is very low, indeed.
What do you recommend? What would you get if you were me?
Thanks.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Isn't there really anyone who had experiences with these speakers? Any input will help me greatly deciding which are the best for me. There aren't really any professional reviews for any of these systems, but I'm inclining towards the Cantons based on my previous experience with the brand, which was highly favorable.

I'm also looking at the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 which are a little bit more expensive than the others I mentioned, but also fit my budget. Only just.

I took the plunge and ordered the monitor audio vectors since it was the last one in stock, and as far as I know, they are discontinued. I will update you with my impressions after I receive them.

I assume you got the vectors for £300. They are a bargain at that price and I am certain you will be very pleased.

The only issue you may have is the tone of the centre may be different to the bx l & r speakers you have, although the vectors will be a better match than the other speakers you were looking at.

I assume you got the vectors for £300. They are a bargain at that price and I am certain you will be very pleased.

The only issue you may have is the tone of the centre may be different to the bx l & r speakers you have, although the vectors will be a better match than the other speakers you were looking at.

I actually own the BR2s, not he BX2s, which are the previous model. They look more like the MR2s, than the BX2s, that's why I'm assuming that they are closer to the performance of the MR2s.
I actually got the vectors for about 400 euros which is aprox 330 pounds, but that is a huge bargain here (in Romania) where electronics usually cost a ton more than on amazon.co.uk for example.
After reading reviews and looked around, despite not having the chance to hear them (there is nowhere in Romania where you can actually test them) I decided that this is the best I can get for the money and should complement my Marantz receiver well.
Take care!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom