1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking into a Standalone DVD player than also plays divx/xvid!!?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TheGame7, Jul 9, 2005.

1. TheGame7

TheGame7
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

Its about time I bought a standalone DVD player, been getting more and more DVDs and its about time and used something more permanant than my PS2 and I hate watching anything on my PC.

I was originally going to go for the cheap, chearful, reliable and "plays everything you throw at it" Pacific player sold at ASDA after hearing so many compliments about it on various forums.

But now I have decided I want it to play DivX and xVid too should I download some tvrips and the like from the internet - then I can just burn them on CD-R or DVD-R, watch them then reuse the media.

I remember everyone saying Sainsburys used to have a good one, but they don't stock it anymore.

Anyone recommend one sold online?

I came across the site: http://www.divxplayers.co.uk/standalone/yamada-dvx-6700.html

Which shows players with these capabilities in the UK and this was the cheapest which played xVid as well as DivX.

Some more googling and kelkooing and the like allowed me to find this player at its cheapest here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=82115

But I have also come across this model (mx105) : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=86794

Which should I go for? What are the advantages of one over the other? Or should I wait for the release of the mx205?

Or is there another brand player to go for?

Or another option, is there a very good DVD-R recorder which allows the viewing of divx AND xvid too?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks guys.

TheGame7

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
  3. DennisT

DennisT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would agree the Yamada 6700 is a real reliable player. Plys alomst everything you throw at it, all in the correct aspect ratio...

I recently purchased a Philips DVP630, after my old Yamada 6600 bit the dust.

Aspect ratio is all wrong when playing DivX/XviD even though its fully DivX certified :( It insists on applying anamorphic compression to DivX files even though thats already applied in the coding...

Go for the Yamada !!! (I'm selling the philips and getting another Yamada)

4. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Please, could you explain to me how Philips doing the wrong thing about aspect ratio? I have Philips 632 ( which is the same as 630, or it should be) and don't know how I can check it out is it playing movies in the correct aspect ratio?