Question Looking for wall-mount woofers and tweeter

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by amp0, Jan 17, 2018.

1. amp0

amp0
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am building a speaker system for a wall-mount TV setup. I want all speakers to be flush mount (in-wall or in-ceiling). Due to construction, my left and right need to be in-ceiling. Because of this I want the center channel to be in-wall (above the TV).

It seems a common configuration for a center channel is 2 woofers and one tweeter. The problem is, due to studs, there is not enough horizontal room to mount that as a single assembly. I can do it if I break it up (tweeter in the center, woofers offset left and right).

Has anyone seen discrete woofers and tweeters that would allow me to do that? I know I will have to deal with crossovers, which I am not concerned about. The main problem is finding the individual pieces that can be flush mounted separately.

2. Hixs

Hixs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,677
    Cut the stud then...

You add a horizontal piece at each end of the cut stud to brace it to studs either side. Much easier and far better then your idea of random drivers in drywall with no cabinet.

3. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,136
    What is the spacing on your studs? It should conform to common standards which is about studs on 16" centers. Most MTM Centers are made to fit in that gap.

Also -

Is that Left/Right FRONT speaker need to be in-ceiling??? That typically does not work well. You can use In-Ceiling for the Surround (Side/Rear) speakers, but for Front Left/Right that is less than ideal.

How much money do you have to spend? That is critical. There are plenty of very good speakers for In-Wall/In-Ceiling use, but without a budget it is hard to make recommendations.

Here is one example of a common 2-way In-Wall speakers -

Monitor Audio W180 (Each) | Quantum AV

Cut-Out Dimensions: 387 mm x 234 mm

Studs should be on 406mm spacing.

Here is a MTM (mid-bass, tweeter, mid-bass) In -Wall speaker -

Monitor Audio W150-LCR (Each) | Quantum AV

Cut-Out Dimensions: 145 mm x 353 mm

The people who make In-Wall speakers are smart enough to know they actually have to fit in the wall.

But there are some questions. Why do you feel you have to mount the speakers as you describe? I'm not saying it isn't true, but we can't help you unless we understand the circumstance. Any chance it has something to do with a fireplace?

Consider the Monitor Audio Radius speakers which are very shallow ON-Wall speakers -

Radius | Hi-Fi Speakers | Monitor Audio

Monitor Audio Monitor Audio Radius 225 LCR | Quantum AV

Monitor Audio Monitor Audio Radius 200 | Quantum AV

Three Monitor Audio Radius 225 would work well for Front and Center.

Here is a photo of what the speaker look like when in place -

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk...radius-hd/r225hd/r225hd-blk_small_4-large.jpg

Here are some Kef Flat Panel speakers for your consideration -

Kef T101 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Kef T301 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

https://www.hifix.co.uk/kef-t205-speaker-system

https://www.hifix.co.uk/kef-t305-speaker-system-black

The small stands are easily removed for wall mounting.

Steve/bluewizard

4. amp0

amp0
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the responses.

I am well aware of the option of cutting the studs. That is probably more drywall work than I want to take on for this, so I am looking at other options.

The reason I am looking at in-ceiling for LR is there are windows on both sides of the TV and the small space above the windows is 100% blocked with framing. I know in-ceiling is not ideal. Here is what I am looking at for that one:
    Paradigm® | In-Ceiling | CI Home H65-A | Overview

The studs are 16" spacing. There is a stud about 4 inches off center preventing me from placing a center channel speaker on center. It is possible for me to put a woofer on either side of that stud and a tweeter exactly on center. To me this seems ideal, if I could find the parts to do that. I could put a full-range speaker on either side of the stud and wire them in parallel, but I think the 2 tweeters would create a comb effect. I did consider disconnecting one of the tweeters, and that may not be a bad option.

I hadn't really considered on-wall because I assumed I would need more depth than I am willing to accept. I think the 35mm option above is interesting. I'll definitely look into that more.

Price is not a huge factor. I am willing to spend a bit to get this right.