1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for 'upscaling' DVI DVD player for TX100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Smith2004, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    I have just bought a Hitachi PJ-TX100 and am looking for a DVI (or HDMI) equipped dvd player with 'upscaling' capabilities. I was thinking of the Denon DVD-1910, (as the Samsung HD745 and 945 appear to be difficult to get hold of), but have been told by a local home cinema dealer that this player will not be suitable for my projector as it would result in judder. Is this correct? If so, what player would suit this projector- or should I stick to trying to upscale through a PC with ffdshow etc?

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  3. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks Oakleyspatz, I didn't know they were readily available yet as other threads were reporting a shortage of supplies.

Does anybody have any experience of the HD745 or 945 with this projector?

4. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They are only short with supplies cos its really new, will be worth waiting for though imho.

I have one on order.

5. Whyshirley

Whyshirley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm using the older Samsung HD935 via DVI with my TX100 and the picture is very good, so I would hope the newer Samsung's would be at least as good.

I'd guess the judder refered to with the Denon would be as a result of the 50 / 60Hz refresh rate change when a PAL 576P signal is upscaled to 720P - 720P signals use a different rate than the PAL standard. This isn't an issue with NTSC as it already uses the same rate as 720P.

Having said all that - I use 720P upscaling all the time, and yes, on occasions I do notice motion judder - but it really doesn't bother me, i.e. its a very low irritation artifact (IMO), which I've only noticed really on slow panning shots. To me, its certainly no where near as annoying as the stuttering you can get on digital TV, e.g. Freeview with a dodgy signal, if you see what I mean.

HTH!

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +939
    If you already have a pc with dvi out then you could try ffdshow first as it will not cost you anything. If you are happy with that then you could stick with it, i used to have a Samsung 935 with my Z2 but just couldnt get on with it, if you do a search you will see a post i did a while back.
    I now have a hcpc with zoom player and ffdshow and am really happy with the pq and the flexibility of the pc.

7. Smith2004

Smith2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll think I'll hold out for the HD745, but keep experimenting with the PC at the same time. However, I would prefer a dvd player as the PC, which, though fast (AMD64 3400, 1gb ram etc), was not built as a HTPC and can be noisy at times.
    From what I have read I don't think that the 'judder' issue would annoy me too much, its just that the dealer I spoke to gave me the impression that the picture via the projector would be virtually unwatchable!