1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for unobtrusive rear speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by nkasic, Jun 26, 2003.

1. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm looking for replacing my 5+1 speakers, and while I have plenty of options for the front ones, requirements for the rear ones are very strict: they have to be as unobtrusive as possible.
    I can put them only on rear wall and sofa is touching rear wall.
    Front wall is 3.8m from rear walll and that's where the front ones will be (probably slightly in front).
    My AMP is Sony STR-DB1070 (5x100W), speaker cable is QED silver aniversary. Current speakers are Eltax Stargate, and are not up to the task. There is a huge hole in the midle tones. And they are on the stands so wife doesn't like them.
    Therefore, I would prefer to buid some speakers in wall.
    My walls have plasterboard which are screwed to wooden joists and to concrete wall. Gap between plasterboard and concrete is 3.8cm only, while plasterboard itself is 12mm, which gives in total 5 cm depth from front surface.
    Searching for the past 6 months various forums and web sites, I found that there are no speakers on the market that are shallow enough to fit there.
    Please let me know if you're aware of any (which are not incredibly expensive)
    Therefore, I'm looking now for alternative solutions, like NXT speakers being attached on the wall.
    I'm considering Wharfdale loudpanels or Mission FS1 or FS2.
    Do you know if I can use such speakers as rear ones only, or I need to use as all 5 of them?
    Or, are there any other models, or even conventional ones, but flat enough.
    I'm even thinking of partially burrying them into plaster to reduce their depth for 5 cm, but I don't like such solution too much because replacing speakers later would leave a hole in the wall.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Regards,

Nik

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Have you considered a pair of mk.2 Kef eggs?

Not flat but very wife friendly. And only £159 per pair from here

Big A

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would strongly recommend considering bipoles if they are going to be very close to your head. Checkout Mission 77DS, Def Technology BP-1X/2X.

3.8cm cavity is not enough for standard drivers..unless really tiny speakers like 2" or maybe 3" at that.

If you do decide to use NXT panels, you need the subwoofer to handle frequencies below the panels LF corner (240hz?) so you'll have two subs in your room, the .1 LFE and rear subwoofer. You'll then need to fiddle with phasing on the rear sub.

4. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,
    why do I need separate sub for NXT speakers? I see that they always come with the sub, but couldn't I use existing sub for that and connect them to existing sub?
    Two subs are out of question, because for my wife even existing one is too much.
    Regards,
    Nik

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the NXT panels can only handle certain frequencies (ie like Electrostatic panels)

I don't know of the exact frequency range, but ideally for AV speakers you want them to be able to reproduce 80hz to 20,000khz.

From recollection NXT handle around 200hz. That's just a guestimate from memory though.

IMO it would be simpler just using small bipoles, with the AV amp crossed over at 80hz.

6. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Wharfedale loud panel;
    The panels are quoted as 160Hz-120kHz.
    The sub woofer included has a very large crossover inside (I was bored so I looked) so that the panels only get the correct frequencies.

Regards, Myles

7. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Adam,
    I always liked those KEFs, but I'm not sure that they are wife friendly. They are quite bulky. I think that I saw them in flesh, and while web site says that they are smaller then grapefruit, either I saw something else, or we are talking about some really big grapefruits.
    Anyway, I might re-consider them, especially now when price has dropped a bit.
    Do you know of any picture, where I can see them mounted on the wall?
    Is it possible to cut a hole in plaster and sink them in to lower their profile?
    Regards,
    Nik

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I feel sorry for you mate... your wife telling you Kef Eggs are too big :(

Have a look on the Plasma forum, quite a few there have Kefs & Gallos.

9. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I should really forget using NXTs in partial setup. Only as a whole system.
    As far as I remember Mission FS2s are 30W only, so FS1s are the only option, but I remember that they are not that flat as they could be because they are designed to be placed into corners, so sub and speakers are a bit wedge shaped.
    Regards,
    Nik

10. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah, they were bigger than I imagined too but show any wife a nice chrome finish Kef egg next to a cheesy wood veneer speaker and I know which she'd pick.

I went out and bought my Kef system while my wife was away on business. Didn't give her any choice! Avoid the black ones and you could probably convince her that they are pretty inconspicuous!

I think the splash page of the Kef site has piccies of the egg wall mounted.

Big A

11. nkasic

nkasic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did that couple of times, so if I do it once more I can expect capital punishment :nono:

I'll not be able to get away with it this time
    :)

Nik