Question Looking for TV Show suggestions Sci fi/fantasy and detective

AntonG

Novice Member
Reaction score
Could anyone please suggest a TV Show to me with genres: detective and sci-fi/fantasy.

Examples:
X files
Fringe
Eureka
Terra Nova
Supernatural
Forever
Grimm
Treshold
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Angel
Lucifer
Death Note
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

I started watching a series on one of the cable channels called 'First Wave' .....it was a sci-fi show wherein the hero was trying to find out about an alien conspiracy on Earth ...... basically he was engaged in a detective role

I probably only watched the first 10 episodes .... it was OK and I'll watch it again some time (these shows tend to run on a loop on cable channels) ..... I think it was just that something else was starting I wanted to watch and I don't like to commit to more than one of these shows at a time if they're daily episodes

I notice you haven't got 'Warehouse 13' on your list ....... it's set in the same universe as Eureka (with some characters making guest appearances in the other show)

Must say of all the 90s and 00s shows I've been catching up on I thought W13 was the best ! ........ it's a couple of FBI agents who are seconded to a secret organisation to investigate events connected to ancient artefacts and collect such artefacts for safe keeping in the Warehouse..... it's a rollicking good show with terrific characters. I'm certainly going to watch it again sometime.

I started watching a series on one of the cable channels called 'First Wave' .....it was a sci-fi show wherein the hero was trying to find out about an alien conspiracy on Earth ...... basically he was engaged in a detective role

I probably only watched the first 10 episodes .... it was OK and I'll watch it again some time (these shows tend to run on a loop on cable channels) ..... I think it was just that something else was starting I wanted to watch and I don't like to commit to more than one of these shows at a time if they're daily episodes

I notice you haven't got 'Warehouse 13' on your list ....... it's set in the same universe as Eureka (with some characters making guest appearances in the other show)

Must say of all the 90s and 00s shows I've been catching up on I thought W13 was the best ! ........ it's a couple of FBI agents who are seconded to a secret organisation to investigate events connected to ancient artefacts and collect such artefacts for safe keeping in the Warehouse..... it's a rollicking good show with terrific characters. I'm certainly going to watch it again sometime.
Thank you for your reply. I've never heard of the first wave I'll check it out. As for W13 I've seen a few episodes when it came out, not sure why I stopped watching it, I can't remember and I forgot about it. Maybe I should give it another try.

I thought was a poor mans The Invaders and took a lot of ideas from that series both about an invasion of Earth by aliens disguised as humans, main character all but only person to track them down and foil there plans and when they die disintegrate.
They had a creepy way to kill humans although not gory, Gene Hackman even turned up in one episode. There lots of well known tv and film actors in the series round the 60s in it.

Turnes up now and then on The Horror Channel generally during the day.

Full opening episode.

I remember The Invaders in the 60s ...... though I probably watched it in black and white

Yes, I think First Wave would be a similar show

A few I thought of:

4400 - ran for 4 seasons, has 44 episodes and is actually being rebooted by one of the streamers.

Tru Calling - ran for 2 seasons and stared Eliza Dushku who is able to repeat the same day again to solve murders (I remember really liking this one).

Maybe (and this is stretching it_ but Dead Like Me, a young girl dies and becomes a Grim Reaper, ran for 2 seasons but did get a TV movie made to finish it off.

Crime Traveller - Rubbish (imo) and short-lived BBC Saturday evening show of the 90s, from Anthony Horowitz. Just one series of 8 episodes.

Indeed it was very poor. The basic premise was pretty good and should have worked. Unfortunately a total load of rubbish.

Bri

"Counterpart" (2017-2019) is both a crime/spy and science fiction series. I liked it very much. :)

"Intelligence" (2014) and "Almost Human" (2013-2014) are crime/police and science fiction series. I liked the latter a lot 💖 and was very sad when they ended it. :(

"Continuum" (2012-2015) is also a crime/police and science fiction series, but I didn't like it much - too much crime and police and too little science fiction for me, but you might like it. :)

Altered carbon

:smashin:

"Altered Carbon" (2018-2020) is also a very entertaining cyberpunk crime and science fiction show, that ended prematurely. :(

I remembered one more. It's a little old, but it might be interesting:

"Total Recall 2070" (1999) - also a crime/police and science fiction series.

There's one more series that I watched and that might belong to the same group. It's French, called "Transferts" and it aired in 2017. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your list your remit is quite wide so I would also suggest 'Timeless' - its a time travel show but it is hunting people who are influencing the future and in a similar but wilder vein 'Dark', one of the best shows of the last 5 years

Also if you love X Files and Fringe, Id check out Person Of Interest, more vigilantes than detectives but it fits more than Supernatural.

I've watched and loved all the shows here.
W13 was fun and silly, like Eureka.
First Wave was brilliant and sometimes late at night reruns are shown and I'll always watch it even though I've not been following it or keeping up with it.

Last edited:
Haven
Gotham
Warehouse 13
Watchmen
The Expanse
Sleepy Hollow

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom