looking for top of the range 32" or maybe 37" lcd tv which one?

karate_kid007

Standard Member
Hi all,

ok i really want a new tv primarily for watching standard tv but soon to be sky hd.

also i have a xbox 360 and soon a PS3(for blu-ray)

i'd lke it to be 1080p maybe 100hz but what is the benefit of this?

but i am really stuck for which one to go for, ideally a 32 inch would be better but i would stretch for a 37 if it were much better.

any one have any advice on which one to choose :lease: im looking at spending anywhere upto £1000 but i dont want one that is gonna be end of the line in a month or so :)

many thanks
Luke

p.s my top finds so far are

1. Panasonic TX-32LZD85 32" LCD TV
2. Philips 32PFL9603D (which cant be brought anywhere :()

davidpfitz

Novice Member
Pioneer Kuro KRL-32v or KRL-37V?

I'm planning on buying the 37V, based upon what I've read about it on this forum. Generally, it's available for around the £900 mark. £700 for the 32, I think.

karate_kid007

Standard Member
Thanks mate,

they both look like really good tvs, the specs are great :)

what rep does Pioneer have? i was told today that Panasonic sets only have a life span of around 3 years, is there anything similar with the Pioneer?

cheers

boxrick

Thanks mate,

what rep does Pioneer have? i was told today that Panasonic sets only have a life span of around 3 years, is there anything similar with the Pioneer?

cheers

Not sure where this rubbish came from.

Panasonic plasmas are rated at 100k hours .... and LCDs something around 80k hours...

This is 35 years of many hours a day usage... 3 years is just not true with any flat screens....

Pioneer will be rated similar....

As far as reputation goes... Pioneer make the best 50" flatscreen plasma on the market at the moment, and was similar last generation.

Whilst the LCDs are arguably not as good as the plasmas... now the prices have dropped to a more reasonable level ( before they were over 1k) they are amongst the best... They don't have the greatest viewing angles and some have issues with clouding. But as far as standard definition goes they are one of the best sets available.

BTW 1080p is unecessary on such a small television set, and 100hz motion just makes everything sped up and fake... the first thing many people do is turn 100hz off when they get there sets home.

Maybe look at the TH37PX80 plasma .... its the best 37" you can get at the moment in my opinion at a much more reasonable price than the pioneer LCDs.

karate_kid007

Standard Member
Thanks Boxrick,

lots of great info there, what is the advantage of plasma over lcd, i was of the understanding that the plasmas are more likley to 'burn' when the pic stays the same for too long? or is this more rubbish lol. i've always gone for a lcd in the past basically because of this and the price difference.

thanks

boxrick

Thanks Boxrick,

lots of great info there, what is the advantage of plasma over lcd, i was of the understanding that the plasmas are more likley to 'burn' when the pic stays the same for too long? or is this more rubbish lol. i've always gone for a lcd in the past basically because of this and the price difference.

thanks

Plasmas and LCDs are now similarly priced.

As far as screen burn goes this is possible but only with abuse... i mean for example leaving a pc desktop on for 10 hours may just get you screen burn but playing a game for a good few hours where the static image will be a health bar and that is not always there will not cause any damage.

Television is just logos which are in the majority very dim now anyway...

So basically if you plan to abuse the screen then avoid plasma... if you use it normally without leaving something paused for multiple days at a time ( very unlikely ) then a plasma is fine.

Plasma:

+No viewing angles
+Deals with motion better no blurring
+More natural colours
+Usually better blacks due to no backlighting
+No backlight bleed because no backlight.
+Tend to handle SD content better

-Possibility of screenburn if you abuse the screen
-Varying power levels... more on light scenes less on dark
-Very reflective screens
-Phosphor trails ( similar to blurring but on dark--> light scenes slight green trail some people see this others not )

LCD:

+Very bright image ( good for bright rooms... though personally i hate this)
+High specs for cheap 100hz / 1080p
+Show every single little detail ( good for blu ray or bad for SD...)
+Plastic front not reflective.
+Impossible to get permenant screen burn

-Motion blurring
-Poor viewing angles
-Possibility of backlight bleed

Im not a fan of LCDs but as far as general televisions go i say plasmas are the superior technology... If you want a good monitor then LCDs are perfect for this...

boxrick

If you after a good 32" LCD check out:

Panasonic TX32LXD85
Sony KDL32V4500
Pioneer KRL32V

If you are after a good plasma:

LG 32PG6000

or

Panasonic TH37PX80.

karate_kid007

Standard Member
Thanks mate, im heading over to currys on tuesday to see what they have will take in a list of these models to see them in action :)

thank you
Luke

davidpfitz

Novice Member
Thanks mate,

cheers

Not sure that's right (3yrs on the Panasonic) ... but the KRL-37V gets good write-up. Check out the thorough review on Trusted Reviews.

You can get it from TLC Broadcast for £899 with a 5yr warranty.

GYRODEC1

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I'm also very much interested in the Pioneer Kuro KRL-37V LCD TV. Do you know how good the sound quality is through the inbuilt spks?

I have heard from people that the sound through LCD TV's is very poor is this true?

Thanks

:)

davidpfitz

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I'm also very much interested in the Pioneer Kuro KRL-37V LCD TV. Do you know how good the sound quality is through the inbuilt spks?

I have heard from people that the sound through LCD TV's is very poor is this true?

Thanks

:)

I purchased one yesterday, I haven't received it yet but I listened to it in the showroom and I was perfectly happy with the sound from it. It's not going to blow your socks off - as with all LCD TV speakers, there's just not the space to make great speakers - but it sounded good, and was plenty loud.

D.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom