1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for the perfect Sub!

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by damenace, Dec 11, 2003.

1. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,
    this is my first post, so be gentle. I am looking for a perfect sub if there is such a thing. It must be fast and precise. Must give lots of bass as I am loosing a lot in my room.
    I am using two Naim Audio Allaes as Fronts, 2x Naim Audio Intro 2s as Rears and a Naim Audio Axess as Center.
    I have been told to try the REL St series (but apparently not the Strata III) and the MJ Acoustics Reference 1 which is supposed to be as good as the Stadium III but at lesser cost.

For some reason I am not getting enough bass from my NAim kit especially with poor recordings and some movies.
    Nevertheless it has to be a musical sub (Rock, Metaletc.)! So lots of information and lots of detail.

Maybe you guys can help me out!

Regards,

Alex

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    About to ask about price- Karl Heinz Finck will custom build whatever you want if you're serious. He does consultancy work for a number of companies.

That 2k B&W is meant to be very special as well.

4. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    You might want to look at M&K subs. Naim seem to use them a lot for their home theatre demos.

Will

5. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Alex,

Was in the same boat as you - I had Naim NBL's and a full rack of Naim kit to go with it.

Excellent system dynamically, and very very fast, but I must admit very dry bass.

I played around for months with all sorts of combo's to try and improve the situation - even tryed some DBLs !!! - but to no avail - just came to the conclusion that Naim kit sounded that way!

Because most of the music I listen to needs the real bass depth and slam (and I'll admit it...a bit of boom) to sound good - I had no option but to go down the Subwoofer route - again I auditioned all the main brands and ended up with a Rel Stadium III - what a difference!!...it was so good I ended up buying another one and so now run two in stereo - each driven by high level outputs from my amp (left ;/ right)

My music really grooves now!!

In my experience you won't go far wrong with a REL st series sub (or two!) as they have a multitude of connection and adjustment variables AND they are well suited to Music as well as movies - some more Home Cinema oriented products I tried were great on movies - awful on music.

6. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would have thought that the perfect sub can only be obtained if you have the perfect room ;)

IMHO a sub working well in one persons room can sound dreadful in a different room. I would demo a few at home if you can, start off with the Rel ST's, MJ accoustics, Mackie and perhaps the bigger B&W, that way you can decide what suits your room accoustics and kit. don't forget to try different positions as well.

Regards
    John

7. marck

marck
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not sure if it is of any interest to you, but I am selling my Rel Q200E subwoofer on this forum:D

8. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Well, I would say price is relaitve...

Thing is, that I could spend lets say 2k. But I quite like s/h so a REL Strata III for exapmle sells for about 500. Meaning I could buy 4 Strata IIIs. But I would rather not. Two subs at most. I cannot dem to much cause the really good speakers are being produced in England, I live in Germany and dalers for good speakers are rare. I have a Naim/Linn/B&W dealre in town but don't like B&W subs. I am thinking more about the REL and MJ thing. But I cannot make up my mind whether MJ can really compare or if it would be just a temporary thing just like my centre. First had a ProAc (recommended by Naim) but then just couldn't stand it any longer and bought a Axess. And that's just awesome. Didn't lose any money on that but would hate to go through that one again.

What would you say is the minimum ST sub acceptable. Or is there no such thing? If I could buy 2 Strata IIIs for lets say 1k max, would you advice me to, or rather go for one Stadium III or a MJ Reference 1?

9. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    And where do I find good s/h stuff cheaply? Comparable to eBay pricewise...or cheaper...like PFM or something? In the UK or Germany. Both no problem as far as picking up is concerned.

I will be mainly looking for.......yeah.....MJ and REL.....

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In UK we could buy two second hand REL Storms for £1,000 and that is the way that I would go rather than Strata's.

I have had both a mark one and mark two Storm and was very impressed with their ability.

I have subsequently upgraded to an SVS sub which was purchased directly from the manufacturer in USA and this gives me much more low end grunt for films whilst retaining the musicality and timing of a Storm.

11. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Two REL Storm IIs right? Not REL Storm IIIs? If you do mean IIIs then tell me (in privatemsg) where I can get two of them. I would jump at that one I guess.

The I and II series are no good for music though, so it has to be the III

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For reasons better known to themselves REL followed the original Storm with the Mark 3 version and completely missed out the Mark 2 in UK.

I don't know why you think that the original Storm was no good for music as I thought that mine was excellent and not much different to the later Mark 3 that I bought.

The original Storms traded on this forum for about £250 with a Mark 3 fetching double that but unfortunately there haven't been any for sale recently

13. damenace

damenace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    OK. Where on this forum would I have to look for s/h subs?

The thing about the original ST series is the older electronics. Apparently the new electronics used inside are very much faster and therfor better for music.

14. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    damenace - the Hardware Classifieds Forum :).

15. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damenace,

With the quality of kit you have currently you should really be aiming for REL Stadium IIIs - I bought a used one for £800 - should be feasible for you to purchae two for £2000 if you shop around and perhaps buy ex-demo.

16. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hang on Dealmaker.. weren't you offering to swap a Studio III (I presume it's a III at that RRP) for the Velo HGS18 on the ads. Are you telling me you have one of those AND two Stadium III's in your house?? :eek: Do you have any foundations left??
    By the way, you mentioned you fancied changing the Studio. Are you likely to be putting it up for sale soon?

17. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes indeed three REL's in one house!

Two Stadiums (Stadia?) are in my lounge - Studio is in my Ciema room!

No real plans to sell the Studio at present (in fact I'm looking to possibly add a second sub to the cinema room)

18. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Now that's just plain greedy! :)

Hey, just noticed you 'location is nearly in scotland'.. I guess the house is getting shuffled nearer each day with seismic vibrations!! :rolleyes:

19. dealmaker

dealmaker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, that's why I need a fourth sub - even the vibrations out a bit!

20. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I recommend you contact this dealer and explain your situation, I think you will get an interesting reply.

LS WAGNER - Unterkogl 7 - 94113 Tiefenbach Fon: 08509-934771
    Fax:08509-934772 Mail: info@ls-wagner.de <mailto:info@ls-wagner.de>
    Web: www.ls-wagner.de <http://www.ls-wagner.de>