1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

looking for the perfect beat!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Unwin George, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Unwin George

Unwin George

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have recently purchased a set of B&W 602 S3s and now I want to partner them with the perfect amplifier.

It's main purpose will be for my Turntables, so the majority of the music will be Dance, but I like listening to Rock, Soul, ballads, jazz (basicaly a little bit of everything), this is the main reason I purchased the B&W's, for versatility.

I've narrowed it down to a choice of three, the main contender being the Marantz PM7200.

Next are the Cambridge Audio Azur 640a and the Nad C352CT.

It's not very often I get the opportunity to crank up the volume to it's full potential, but when I do I want it to shake the house! this is why the Marantz is looking favourite so far, 95wpc.

Of course volume isn't everything and I've heard & read fantastic things about the Azur 640a, but can it match the marantz for bass?

Next is the Nad, the most expensive of the bunch. Is there a legitimate reason why I should choose this over the others?

All 5 star winners, so I can't go horribly wrong with whatever I choose, but if anyone on here can recommend the best one for the music I want to play then that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Unwin

2. LITTLEBRITAIN

LITTLEBRITAIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello mate, i would look at the NAD c352. its a realy goo piece of kit and had a decent bottom end for an amp at this price. the rrp is £350 but can be had for arround £300.
    85 wpc aswel so plenty of power in reserve!
    also look at the rotel ra01 rrp £250 in my opinion better than the marantz with alot more punch but not quite the bottom end of the nad.
    the azure im not very keen on (problems with reliability) ooooh and richer sounds have a 8 page ad in what hifi, is that a coincidence that they own cambrige?? hmmm

the marantz is a good amp but i think its a lil bright with not that much slam tho it images really well with good levels of detail. it runs very hot tho being class a

hope that helps

3. LITTLEBRITAIN

LITTLEBRITAIN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your best bet is to lisen to this stuff definatly. find a good dealer that will demo them

4. Stoutman

Stoutman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with LittleBritain, The only opinion to trust is your own ears and then u wont be carrying the question "what if the others were better?" Any decent dealer will me more than willing for u to demo the amps.

Happy listening!

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Unwin - Try the Hi-Fi separates for advise on this too. Some very knowledgable people there who may not see this thread. :)

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if you can stump up the extra cash i'd give the exposure 2010 a try it may only be rated at 60 watts but would shake the walls without breaking a sweat. give it a go if the price is realistic. But same advice before you buy it, try it.