looking for system for 2.1 speakers

jtfab75

Established Member
years ago i had a denon av receiver wih 5.1 surround sound. i'm now wanting a 2.1 system for my ps3 and v+ to connect to.

any good idea's and i don't want to spend too much.
thanks

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

jtfab75

Established Member
thanks for the reply
i don't want a big subwoofer (that's why i got a rid of my last system) just 2 speakers and a small thin receiver please.
i didn't explain myself prop in my first post, bad night lol

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

dwhite

Distinguished Member
As you want a stereo amp, I'll move this.

BTW Asking for 2.1 in your first post/title is the reason people suggested systems with subs. You really want a 2.0 system for no sub.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member

jtfab75

Established Member
thanks dwhite, it's been ages since i had my denon so i'm bit out of touch. so yeh 2.0 is the 1 i want.

i want to spend no more then £200 for amp and speakers.

wanting to plug my ps3 and V+ into it.

i'll had a pioneer vsx c1000 before the denon and that was great and a great size.the denon i had (av1307 i think was big and bulky)

i don't want a built in tuner.

thanks

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
For that amount i would probably look at the secondhand market and get more bang for my buck

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
Is it the new slim ps3 or the older PS3? either way i would of thought both would have analogue outputs.

Out of the amps you have selected i would look at the A5 or A3I (i think the A3i is older). the PS3 3 should be able to connect to both

altenatively:
MARANTZ PM 4200 AMPLIFIER EXC CONDITION on eBay (end time 13-Jun-10 21:53:34 BST)

Speakers:
Wharfedale DIAMOND 9.0 Cherry | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Tannoy F1 CUSTOM Dark Oak | Speakers Per Pair | Richer Sounds

Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo One (Pair)#

if you have room for floorstanders and depending what kind of sound you are after

Wharfedales xarus 4000 are decent
wharfedale xarus 4000 floorstanding speakers on eBay (end time 15-Jun-10 20:26:54 BST)
Acoustic Energy Ae109 Loudspeakers on eBay (end time 13-Jun-10 20:52:05 BST)

Some of these are running out of time fast but it gives you something to go on

Last edited:

jtfab75

Established Member
i have the older ps3.i've had a look at the back and only the optical sound output is there .
is there a way to connect the optical to the receiver you have linked too ?

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
i have the older ps3.i've had a look at the back and only the optical sound output is there .
is there a way to connect the optical to the receiver you have linked too ?

Yes, a dac like SPDIF Converter | TosLink to Phono | Digital to Analogue | Optical to Stereo Audio | SP/DIF | Digital Coax | LINDY UK £40

or a dac like a Beresford TC7510 - £120

Home HI-FI

I couldn't select the TC-7510 so i'm hoping that it has not been discontinued as the next one up is the TC-7520 at £150

For your purpose of the ps3 i think the 1st option will be good enough, but if have plans to expand in the future, i.e streaming music, and like quality sounding music, then maybe the 2nd or 3rd choice will be more apt. But as you can see, they are not cheap and even second they command a fair price.

There is also the Beresford Caiman or CA Dac Magic, but these are over £200 and maybe overkill for your purpose.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G3 MLA OLED Evo Best Picture Settings - works for ALL 2023 LG OLEDs
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Back
Top Bottom