1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for suitable LCD for kids playroom & Kitchen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nealgs, May 10, 2005.

1. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    now the kids are bit older, we've had a bit of a clearout/move around in their playroom (would normally be the dining room, but this way, it gets more use) and have put in a 2 seater settee and DVD player.

We would like to put up on the wall an LCD TV/Panel - the unit will be fed with Sky (via scart), DVD player (via scart), xbox (component)

Don't want to pay a fortune for one, but would like to have a decent PQ.

viewing distance is about 8-9 feet appx, so max screen size 32" (???)

Also looking at putting one in the Kitchen, so max about 20", and it will share the sky feed from the playroom

any help, ideas, recommendations etc would be appreciated

cheers
    Gary

2. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

if you don't mind me asking, what's your budget for each screen? Is it only the TV that you require?

I think you need to decide what your budget is, and then search on the net for screens in that price range. For each model you find, do a search on here and see what people think.

Alternatively, you could visit your local John Lewis or Currys etc. and see which one you like the look of, and then search online for prices, and search on here for user opinions. I know it's difficult to judge PQ at these places due to the poor feeds they get, but you can always ask someone to hook it up to a DVD player for a proper demo. Currys are always good for seeing how well the screens cope with poor signals too ;)

Another thing you may need to consider is if you require the screen to be HD ready? I noticed you mentioned Sky; what are the odds of you subscribing to their HD service in a few years time? If you want it HD ready, the correct type of DVI port is required on the screen (can't remember which one though!!!). There's a handy thread on here that has a list of HD compatible screens if you look around (I believe it's a sticky).

Remember, all info given on these forums are user opinions so make sure you agree by seeing them in the flesh yourself!! :D

Ben

3. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks for the reply Ben,

As you say deciding on a budget is the difficult part :D - but probaby £700 max for the playroom, and correspondingly less for the kitchen one.

The issue regarding Hidef broadcast with sky is also a good one, but unlikely that it would be needed as the plasma in the main room would be used for that, kids don't need to watch Dora the Explorer in Hidef :D

Although the plasma in the main room ain't HD compatible so SKy HD isn't really a problem I suppose.

I'll pay a visit to Currys etc and have a look and see what is available.

cheers
    Gary

4. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

I believe there are a few 32" screens around and probably just above the £700 budget, and these would be from manufacturers of the likes of Sonix, Video 7, Relisys, H&B etc.

There are a few threads discussing these screens in detail on this forum, and there are many people who are very satisfied with these screens. They are not usually available from places like Currys, but I do believe Currys have a range of screens which are essentially the same screen but with a different badge glued onto the front. ;)

Have a look at them down at Currys to give yourself a rough idea as to what kind of PQ to expect from the screens above.

I'm sure someone else would be able to suggest something else too! :)

Ben

P.s. thinking about it, there would probably many more 26" screens within your budget. Depending on what's more important: screen size or picture quality.

5. john2303

john2303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    i have just bought the philips 23pf9946, i got it for £600 and I am really pleased with it. This is also going to go into the kids playroom!! :thumbsdow

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,813