1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for suggestions?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by PhilipH, Dec 16, 2003.

1. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been trying to build a reasonable playback machine for the 300+ DVDs stored on my server (my 300 Disc changer wore out). The "player" is to be used with "normal" TVs so has to give either a full screen (with overscan) S-Video output or an interlaced RGB output (again, full screen with overscan).

I've tried the VIA M10000 EPIA boards and they're fine for software decoding as long as you use the VGA outputs - the S-Video output is pretty lousy!

I've tried a few different (PCI) Radeon cards and they seem pretty poor too - I have a GeForce 5200FX card (again PCI so it will fit in the EPIAs PCI slot) and again the S-Video output of that is quite poor.

*IDEALLY* I'd like to use the Hollywood plus or XCard hardware decoders as the S-Video outputs on those are more than acceptable and they can display at the correct framerate (no jerky pans on dropping/inserting frames) but obviously there's no way of displaying the Windows GUI on that.

So ... can anyone help with the following:

1) Has anyone managed to generate a custom graphics mode on the EPIA boards that will generate an interlaced 50/60Hz "TV" type RGB output from the EPIAs own VGA output?

or

2) Does anyone know of a PCI graphics card that has a good S-Video output? (What's the Hauppauge PVR350 S-Video output like? It's more than I wanted to spend for just something to play out through but if it's good then I'll buy one.)

Cheers

Phil

2. Ivan8192

Ivan8192
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,

I too am interested in finding out if EPIA boards support interlaced output direct from the VGA port. I don't have one (yet) but I currently use the VGA from my Radeon 9000 direct into my TV on the RGB SCART.

Have you tried asking the question on the PowerStrip site forum? The PowerStrip programmers may know if it is possible with the EPIA hardware.

Regards,
    Ivan.

3. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ... I was told that PowerStrip didn't support the EPIA chipset so I haven't even tried it on the EPIA boards that I have.

Phil