Looking for sub £1k ultrabook/equivalent (light as possible) - pref Win 7 - Work/Uni

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by dheadkandyb, Aug 6, 2013.

1. dheadkandyb

dheadkandyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey guys, so I'm going back to uni soon to do Computer Science, so I'm giving my ancient Dell to my parents and looking for something a bit more portable. I have a beast of a desktop rig, so I don't need anything overly fancy.

I'll follow the format on the sticky.

What is your budget?

£1,000 - or as much under it as possible! I set £1k as that's how much I have available, but for my needs, I strongly suspect I won't require all of this.

What size laptop do you want?

I'm a bit undecided on this - I need to be productive and find small keyboards a bit hard to use - I think 13.3" as a minimum, but I don't actually know how big they actually are!! Anything up to around 15" is fine - emphasis on the keyboard and being as light as possible - 17" is probably out of the question.

Do you have resolution requirements?

Not really, but a nice resolution would be a bonus, but a good screen is a must! I don't expect to be able to use this with full on African sun shining on it, but should be able to work effectively outside.

Do you prefer a matte or glossy (reflective) screen?

Errrr see above :p

What will you be using the laptop for?

Coding, work, business needs, and (occasionally) League of Legends.

If you will be gaming, what games do you need to play?

See above :p won't be playing BF3 on max res on this (that's what my desktop is for) but being able to play some not so demanding games would be nice so I can just pop round to my mate's and game with him. BUT THIS IS NOT ESSENTIAL AT ALL!!!

How long does the battery need to last?

As long as bloody possible!!

Does it need to be portable?

Will be with me in a bag every. single. day. whilst I bike (pedal bike) around and up hills etc so yes, needs to be as light as poss!

Do you require Blu-Ray?

Nah

Do you require HDMI output?

Nah

Do you have a preferred brand?

Something reliable with a good extended warranty/insurance plan available (or if there are other ways to get this then please let me know :))

Dell was my initial choice, but I thought there might be better brands out there. One thing I love about Dell, though, is their awesome extended services (though they're very pricey these days..) I suspect this wouldn't go wrong as often as my old Inspiron 1720 (GFX card kept burning out from playing too many games without adequate cooling lol), but I still want peace of mind.

Are there brands you would prefer to avoid?

Er... bad ones? :p

No Macs!

Would you be happy with a refurbished laptop?

I'm open to suggestions... though I'd probably prefer new.

Any other details you feel necessary... Colour; Webcam; Good quality speakers; general spec: CPU, RAM, HDD space, SSD; Operating System or anything else you can think of?

• I'd like it to look nice, but performance, functionality, good keyboard etc. are a lot more important.
    • HDD space ideally 250GB+, not bothered about SSD, but bigger the better I guess! Would like 8GB RAM as a min and a decent processor.
    • Prefer Win 7, but Win 8 if I really must. Don't care about touch screen. I'll be dual booting whatever with Linux anyway.
    • I will be taking this to uni every day and using it for work etc. Doesn't need (e.g.) 3g as I can tether it to my phone's data plan, or use uni wifi. Doesn't need to be a multimedia laptop, but extras are always nice.
    • Needs to be light, doesn't necessarily need to be slim, aesthetics a plus, but again, just a plus.
    Er... I think that about covers it :)

Did a lot of searches around and I see things like the Asus Zen or the Samsung series 9 (I think it's called?) being touted around, but I haven't had to buy a laptop in a very long time sooo....

Thanks in advance guys :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  2. Stiggy

Stiggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,043
    I'd take a look at the Microsoft Surface Pro and then wait for the imminent price cut!

For all the negative publicity around Windows 8, the Surface Pro is a very impressive 'ultrabook'.

3. dheadkandyb

dheadkandyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You know what? That is still an option I'm considering along with the keyboard thing. The 2nd gen surface tabs are allegedly on their way, but any idea when there might be a price drop...?
    Not on the top of my list, but you never know...
    Oh but then I forget... The surface is far too small lol so that's probably a no go :/

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  4. dheadkandyb

dheadkandyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Does anyone have any opinions on the Samsung ATIV books? I see there's a version 9 lite coming out next couple of weeks!

5. MandyAW92

MandyAW92

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The Samsung ATIV book looks OK but i would really want more RAM and a large HDD if I was working on the device

6. dheadkandyb

dheadkandyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
  7. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Shame you say no Macs as the 13" Apple MacBook Air is your ideal choice! Quality, thin, light and with fantastic battery life, the HD5000 graphics will even make game playing possible. Just add your Windows version of choice via boot camp and job done. It really is the current best choice for less than £1000.

8. dheadkandyb

dheadkandyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I was strongly considering it, but the lack of specs did it for me, plus the model I got (which is hopefully the right model :p)'s specs swung me.

That, and I've tried a MBA, liked it n all but OSX...... Went into Currys and tried the Samsung and fell in love.

Can't wait for it to arrive so I can hack the crap out of it lol