Looking for speakers

johnnyvh

Standard Member
Dear users,

I'm searching for a nice pair of speakers with sub in it (2.0) or 2 nice speakers with a sub (2.1) for in the living room, which I will connect to my TV. I'm using them mostly for music and for a movie once in a while. My budget is around 1000 euro, and i thought that I would be spending 300 on a receiver, so I got 700 euro left for the speakers :rolleyes: .

Any recommendations?
Today I went to the Hifi store to check out the Elipson Planet L, but I didn't like the size. Going to check out the Elipson Planet M with sub, but this is far above my budget :(. I would love to have a stylish product, like the Elipson's, or the Beolab 3 or 9. I'm also fine with floor standing speakers.

Thanks in advance!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Can you list the equipment you need? CD Player? BluRay Player? Or just Amp and Speakers?

How big is your room? (dimensions - L x W x H)

For about €1000 or £845, you should do well with a good Stereo system.

This would require -

DAC = ~ £200
Amp = £200 to £400
Speakers = £300 to £400

Myself, given that Subwoofers are expensive, I prefer to put that money into bigger and better front speakers.

Which brings us back to the size of the room. If the room is small, then I recommend large than average Bookshelf speakers. However, if the room is more medium, the potentially modest Floorstanding would work. In a large room the definitely floorstanding.

I'm not a big fan of Subwoofers in general, however, in a full Surround Sound System, while you can get by without one for a while, you will eventually want one, and once you get it, you will never give it up.

That said, as is common knowledge in the forums, I prefer a stereo with bigger better front speakers. Partly because my preference is for a good music system, even though I watch movies all the time.

And that said, each person has to weigh their own preferences and priorities. For myself, it would take a massive pile of money for me to even remotely consider a Surround Sound system, and even with a Surround Sound system, I would never give up my Stereo System.

Can you tell us what country you are in. Mostly the best we can do is quote UK sources and prices, however, under some circumstances we can do a Google search in your country and tailor the price more to your location.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Though on the expensive side, here is a very nice amp with acceptable power, good quality, and a built-in DAC -

Rotel RA12, 60w/ch, Blue Tooth capability, DAC, USB Media, £599 -

HiFix.co.uk - Rotel RA12, 60w/ch Integrated Amp

Think of this as a £400 amp with a £200 DAC.

Also -

Yamaha A-S300 Integrated Amplifier at Audio Affair

Yamaha A-S500 Integrated Amplifier at Audio Affair

Plus -

Cambridge Audio DACMAGIC 100 Silver | DAC | Richer Sounds

For speakers, it would be better if you could go a bit higher, but there are speakers in the roughly £300/pr range that are nice. Though if you could go as high as £499/pr that would be better. Though I do realize that puts you substantially over budget.

Acoustic Energy Neo 3 V2 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Tannoy Mercury V4 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Wharfedale Diamond 10.4 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Mission M35 i Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Mission MX3 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

The equipment listed is only a cross section of the possibilities. There are numerous Bookshelf speakers, other amps, and other DACs to consider. It gets down to sorting out your priorities. Some will say better source and amp, other will say put the big money into the speakers. There is no right answer, only the answer that best suits your needs and circumstance.

Just trying to get things started.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

johnnyvh

Standard Member
Can you list the equipment you need? CD Player? BluRay Player? Or just Amp and Speakers?

How big is your room? (dimensions - L x W x H)

For about €1000 or £845, you should do well with a good Stereo system.

This would require -

DAC = ~ £200
Amp = £200 to £400
Speakers = £300 to £400

Myself, given that Subwoofers are expensive, I prefer to put that money into bigger and better front speakers.

Which brings us back to the size of the room. If the room is small, then I recommend large than average Bookshelf speakers. However, if the room is more medium, the potentially modest Floorstanding would work. In a large room the definitely floorstanding.

I'm not a big fan of Subwoofers in general, however, in a full Surround Sound System, while you can get by without one for a while, you will eventually want one, and once you get it, you will never give it up.

That said, as is common knowledge in the forums, I prefer a stereo with bigger better front speakers. Partly because my preference is for a good music system, even though I watch movies all the time.

And that said, each person has to weigh their own preferences and priorities. For myself, it would take a massive pile of money for me to even remotely consider a Surround Sound system, and even with a Surround Sound system, I would never give up my Stereo System.

Can you tell us what country you are in. Mostly the best we can do is quote UK sources and prices, however, under some circumstances we can do a Google search in your country and tailor the price more to your location.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for the reply!
Going to check the links in your other post! I live in the Netherlands and the room is about 6x5x2.40 meters (L x W x H). I live in Amsterdam, big city, don't have really much space :p. I also have neighbors living under my apartment. I'll use it for music mostly, and a movie once in a while. So i thought a 2.0/2.1 would be better than 5.1 set up? I absolutely want to have Airplay, so I can play my music from Itunes (Macbook Pro) and my Iphone, with the remote app. So i thought I would need a amplifier with integrated Airplay. I don't need a CD or DVD player or something like that. Just amplifier with speakers.

Thanks!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
An external Apple AirPlay device or I believe even Apple TV has the capability you are looking for for a very reasonable price. If you limit yourself to amps or Receivers with Airplay built-in that will be a very short list of amps.

The next think is to set your priorities. The Yamaha AS500 is a high powered high value amp for a very attractive price. Typically about £249 to £279, I have seen it as low as £230. Yes there are certainly better amps, but they cost more money.

So -

£279/ea = Yamaha AS500
£200/ea = DAC (DacMagic 100, Musical Fidelity VDAC, and others)
----------------
£470 = SubTotal

£850 - £479 = £371 for Speakers.

If you could push to £499/pr for speakers, these would probably serve you nicely -

DALI ZENSOR 5

Dali Zensor 5 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

I would not recommend the Dali Zenor 1 bookshelf for you application, but the other Dali Bookshelf would be worth considering.

Dali Lektor 2 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Dali Ikon 1 MkII Speakers (Pair) Light Walnut (Clearance) at Audio Affair

Dali Lektor 3 Speakers (Pair) at Audio Affair

Also the larger Bookshelf and smaller Floorstanding from Wharfedale, Monitor Audio, and a few other would be worthy contenders.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Following up -

Wharfedale -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 10.4 SPEAKERS (PAIR) (OPENED BOX, BLACK)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 122 BOOKSHELF SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 155 FLOOR STANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Monitor Audio BX -

Superfi - MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX2 SPEAKERS (PAIR)

Superfi - MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE BX5 FLOORSTANDING SPEAKERS (PAIR)

The complication in your system is the DAC which is necessary to connect most TVs to the Stereo system. If you have a TV that has Analog Audio Outputs, that solves this problem. You are simply using the DAC in the TV. Personally, I only buy TVs that have Analog Audio Outs, and that solves the problem for me.

If you have an alternate means of connecting the TV to the Stereo, that leaves £200 more for amp and speakers. If you plan to stream Video from your computer to the TV, then an Apple TV or possible Apple Airplay might solve that problem.

There is one other amp worth mentioning, good consumer quality, high power, high features, AM/FM, Built-in DAC, reasonable price -

Superfi - HARMAN KARDON HK3490 RECEIVER

Currently priced at £350, but it comes with Optical/Coaxial inputs and a DAC, which solves one problem. It has a massive 120w/channel, has a PHONO input if you ever get a turntable. It has some video input and outputs, but they are dated. There presents or absents is of no real consequence.

You might also consider the Onkyo TX8050 Receiver. I have a couple of Onkyo Stereos, they are fine, I can't find anything to criticize but nothing to brag about either. I bought them mostly for the price.

Superfi - ONKYO TX8050 NETWORKED STEREO RECEIVER

The power ratings are inflated, but the amp delivers a very real 75w/ch to 80w/ch of real power, that is plenty. The £499 price tag is a bit steep but it has Optical/Coaxial Digital inputs plus DAC, and has Network capability and can connect by Ethernet cable to the Internet for Internet Radio and streaming of music. The thing I'm having a hard time finding is what method it used to connect to the Network. Perhaps DLNA, or by slim chance Apple Airplay but I'm not sure. It could also be Peer-to-Peer. Still, if it combines Amp, Radio, DAC, and Networking in one device, suddenly the price is not so high after all.

So, at this point, really concentrate on your priorities. If TV is simply not a significant issue, then you can forget about the DAC. Or if you TV has an Analog means of connecting the sound. That's £200 back into your budget for other things.

Generally, I recommend speaker at 2 times the cost of the Amp, though that is not etched in stone, there is a great deal of flexibility in it. It simply establishes a starting point.

Steve/bluewizard

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
I just discovered that the Onkyo TX8050 is DLNA certified, so that is the method they use for network streaming of music.

Steve/bluewizard

MTech535

The HK receiver looks a good bet if you need digital inputs.

If you want airplay built in you are looking at a new AV receiver, but I think that will put a bigger dent in your budget. You can get any stereo amp or receiver and add Apple tv for £99 as Steve suggested or Airport Express for £79. Apple TV gives you video streaming as well as music.

I quite like the look of the HK3490, Wharfedale Diamond 10.4, Apple TV combo for your budget.

Rapunzel Sensor 5s are definite worth a listen though.

How flexible is your budget?

Last edited:

johnnyvh

Standard Member
The HK receiver looks a good bet if you need digital inputs.

If you want airplay built in you are looking at a new AV receiver, but I think that will put a bigger dent in your budget. You can get any stereo amp or receiver and add Apple tv for £99 as Steve suggested or Airport Express for £79. Apple TV gives you video streaming as well as music.

I quite like the look of the HK3490, Wharfedale Diamond 10.4, Apple TV combo for your budget.

Rapunzel Sensor 5s are definite worth a listen though.

How flexible is your budget?

I got a good indication how to set up my home cinema set now. I'll post my set up as soon as I'm done for a last check ;) , thanks for all the help!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom