Looking for speakers to go with Denon AVR-4306

R

RSharpe

Just purchased a Denon AVR-4306 and am looking for suitable speakers. I'd like to spend in the region of $500 and am not too fussed about the speakers being 5.1 or 7.1 (5.1 being minimum requirement).

I looked at the Wharfedale Diamond 9 HCP and while these fit the budget, they don't fit the style I am looking for. I much prefer the KEF KHT-5005 or the Wharfedale RS-10 for style but the prices and prohibitive on my budget.

I'd like something sleek and stunning but that also does the business in terms of performance. I'll be using these speakers mainly for movies but would also like to use them for music.

Any and all suggestions and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers ...

Hiya, please don't be offended but with a 4306, how come the budget is so small for the speakers.

£500 is not a lot for a 5.1 rig with that amp. Having said that, a new KEF KHT2005.2 package will cost £600.

You could probably put together a montior audio radisu 5 package for £500 but would struggle to fidn a suitable sub

ALL IMHO!

Hi gsrai,

not offended at all; this is primarily a learning experience for me. Reason why the budget is so low is because the wife sanctioned my purchase of a home cinema system and my initial choice for a av receiver was the yamaha rx-v2600 which is cheaper than the denon. I then found out that the yamaha didn't upscale to 1080p and bought the denon (wife doesn't know yet!!) :)

My set-up isn't elaborate and I'm no audiophile; I simply require something that sounds good with the amp and that won't send the wife racing for the cleaver! I'd like to stay within the £500 - £800 budget on the speakers and get something that is stylish and works well with the amp.

As I've already mentioned, I'm not looking for chunky speakers and I don't like the smaller set-ups either (mission cube and the kef egg types are not my cuppa). I do like the look of the KEF KHT-5005 but they aren't within my budget.

I would really appreciate any suggestions you people can throw at me.

Hi,

For speakers to match the quality of your Receiver I would recommend the SVS SBS-1 5.0 setup and the PB10 Sub (or the SB12 if you can affort it!!). They may not be your cup of tea in the looks dept but they sound fantastic, comparable to much more expensive speakers I have heard.

They are available at a special discount to forum members in the powerbuy area.

Adam

Edit: they will break your budget a bit but you won't be hankering for an upgrade in 6 months. They really are good ;)

RSharpe said:
Just purchased a Denon AVR-4306 and am looking for suitable speakers. I'd like to spend in the region of $500 and am not too fussed about the speakers being 5.1 or 7.1 (5.1 being minimum requirement).

.........I much prefer the KEF KHT-5005 or the Wharfedale RS-10 for style but the prices and prohibitive on my budget.

My local Superfi are doing the KHT-5005 at £499 at the moment.
Unsure whether this is a national thing or local or maybe a one-off (ex-display?).....their website has them at £999 so perhaps the latter......noticed them in the window a couple of days ago...must admit was very tempted myself even though I wasn't in the market for any upgrades at the moment.

PhlangePhace said:
Unsure whether this is a national thing or local or maybe a one-off (ex-display?).....their website has them at £999 so perhaps the latter......noticed them in the window a couple of days ago...must admit was very tempted myself even though I wasn't in the market for any upgrades at the moment.

Unbelievable price:eek: - go buy them:thumbsup:

AngelEyes said:
Hi,

For speakers to match the quality of your Receiver I would recommend the SVS SBS-1 5.0 setup and the PB10 Sub (or the SB12 if you can affort it!!). They may not be your cup of tea in the looks dept but they sound fantastic, comparable to much more expensive speakers I have heard.

They are available at a special discount to forum members in the powerbuy area.

Adam

Edit: they will break your budget a bit but you won't be hankering for an upgrade in 6 months. They really are good ;)

Thanks for pointing me towards the SVS special offer. I will have a look at them now and perhaps buy them. I'm thinking maybe I'll spend £1000 and then tell the wife about it AFTER the speakers arrive.

Are there any other contenders in the £1000 price range? the KEF KHT-5005 is now a possibility but I'd like to know if I have other options that I'm not aware of.

Cheers ...

RSharpe said:
Thanks for pointing me towards the SVS special offer. I will have a look at them now and perhaps buy them.

I am sure you won't regret it, SVS offer very good value for money and they are 'Proper' no compromose speakers. The Kefs look really nice, no denying it but as with most lifestyle products you would probably be sacrificing on performance. This would definately be the case with the subwoofer (I haven't heard the Kefs so this is just speculation of course).

The SBS-1 5.0 and SB12 (14" Square Subwoofer) would be a hard act to beat at £399.50 & £459.50 respectively :thumbsup:

If looks are paramount, and so you need to go with the KEF type sat/sub design, have a listen to the Tannoy Arena; sounded very good with my 4306, although it still felt lacking in real depth on action soundtracks - although I think this is a trade off for having a sub/sat setup. Richer Sounds have these at £999.

At around the £1000 mark you could also look at the MA RS series, 4 RS1s, an RS centre and a sub will not be far off the £1k point, and a lot of dealers have ex dem kit which will drop the price...have a look at Sevenoaks in their clearance section for instance.

The MA range sound very good with the 4306 - I started off with an all RS setup, then upgraded to GS for the fronts.

Have a look at Knight_Byte's posts - he's got a lot of experience with Denon & MA.

PhlangePhace said:

Update....

I think this may, after all, be a standard 'Sale' offer currently being done by Superfi.

Popped into my local branch lunchtime, trying my luck, enquiring about the stands (the proper Kef ones) the window display were showing on only to be told that the stands were not included and that they are £200 per pair extra.

So not an ex-display set after all (else the stands would be part of the deal I should have thought - not at that price, I know, that would be too good to be true).

So yeah, considering your budget, the fact that these are £499 down from a RRP of £1000 should be worth considering.

Wife REALLY likes the KEF 5005's so that is what I'm getting. Come upgrade time I guess I can score points by blaming her for not letting me consider more expensive options.

I bought the speakers for £849 (no stands) and this includes speaker wires and subwoofer lead. Got it here:
http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/KHT5005.htm - have a mate in Stropshire who will pick it up for me and forward it on so it worked out quite nicely.

Will let everyone know how I get on. Thanks for all suggestions.

RSharpe said:
Wife REALLY likes the KEF 5005's so that is what I'm getting. Come upgrade time I guess I can score points by blaming her for not letting me consider more expensive options.

I bought the speakers for £849 (no stands) and this includes speaker wires and subwoofer lead. Got it here:
http://www.creative-audio.co.uk/KHT5005.htm - have a mate in Stropshire who will pick it up for me and forward it on so it worked out quite nicely.

Will let everyone know how I get on. Thanks for all suggestions.

Shame you didn't get amp/speakers bundled.....the speakers together with one pair of stands work out about £500 on top of RRP of the amp when bought together from Creative.

Just my 2p's worth.

I know I'm biased cos I have some but I really prefer the looks of the SVS over the kef's.

The svs just look like proper speakers to me and the no compromise approach really reflects it. They are designed to reproduce glorious sound, not look good and I kind of like that.

I've only had them a couple of weeks and the kef's were also one of the packages I considered but in the end, the svs won and I haven't regretted it for a second. Especially the PB10 sub, the whole room just feels like it's vibrating.:devil: :smashin:

Daerve said:
Just my 2p's worth.

I know I'm biased cos I have some but I really prefer the looks of the SVS over the kef's.

The svs just look like proper speakers to me and the no compromise approach really reflects it. They are designed to reproduce glorious sound, not look good and I kind of like that.

I've only had them a couple of weeks and the kef's were also one of the packages I considered but in the end, the svs won and I haven't regretted it for a second. Especially the PB10 sub, the whole room just feels like it's vibrating.:devil: :smashin:

Fair comment.

My view was based on my personal listening habits....

The KEFs looked a good option for me as a supplement to my kit rather than a replacement.
My main hi-fi monitors are MA GR10s so for me the KEFs were a 'cheap' option to add for 5.1 (or possibly 7.1 in conjunction with my main audio kit)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom