Looking for speaker placement help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by teevan, Feb 23, 2013.

1. teevan

teevan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looking for some thoughts on some possible speaker placement for in-wall speakers for my rear speakers in a 5.1 setup (which I may move up to 7.1 at some point). I have a bit of an unusual space, and want to stick to in-wall rather than standalone speakers for the surround speakers, even though I realize standing speakers would be best.

I thought about ceiling speakers, but it is a basement, and I have a lot of obstructions, with an air duct in the way on one side, which only allows for about 4 inches of clearance. While I could put a basic ceiling speaker in there, I think most of the ceiling speakers that can angle would require about 5 or 6 inches of clearance, so not sure that would work. And I am not in love with the idea of the ceiling option.

The attached picture gives an overview of the space, and the issue is that the wall for the left side is about 6 feet from the optimal viewing spot, but the right side is mostly open, and goes out 21 feet before you hit a wall directly to the right.

There is a wall that ends about 3 feet in front of the viewing area, so I did think about putting the right speaker in that wall (option 1 in green). But that would put the surround in front of the viewing area. Option 2 (red colors) would be to have the speaker on the right at 90-100 degrees from the viewing area on the sides, but the right would be at 21 feet away, and the left at 6. Option 3 (blue color) would be to have the surround speakers behind the area, but that would around 150 degrees or so, and not sure if I would still put the left speaker back as far as that, or keep that to the left of the viewing area and have the right speaker all the way behind the area.

Generally, I guess the other question is whether I should try to keep both the left and right surround speakers at the same distance from the tv, or whether it is better overall to at least get one in the optimal position? Meaning, I should be able to manage the left surround, and just live with the right not being optimal? Or is it more important to have both at similar distances?

I could probably fix some issues by changing the levels of the speakers, but want to get the best initial setup as possible.

Eventually, I will add the 6th and 7th speakers all the way in the back, but those will be easy to figure out once I get everything else sorted.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,351
    Ok

This is just for rears then option 2 will be fine and once calibrated will be great. You will tell the amp that one speaker is further than the other anyhow.

Get an amp with audessey the your laughing.

Then save option 3 for it you wana go 7.1 later