Question Looking for soundbar choice advice

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by Snacker, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Snacker

Snacker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have recently ordered an LG 65b7 and am looking for some help on soundbar choices as I don't have a decent enough grasp of the technicalities to help limit my search!

I had originally planned to use a Sonos playbar, but am rethinking. The main reasons for that were

1. I have Sonos elsewhere and like the idea of keeping life simple / consistent
    2. I plan to also have a record player in the room which will be wired into a sonos connect amp so had figured using the same system would make integration simpler. However I have now concluded I can just as easily wire the connect via optical to something else.

So my budget is probably in the £700ish range.

On the TV I will be watching mainly Netfliks (UHD), Sky Q, Prime. Not sure if I will get a Blu Ray player as I suspect I will mainly be watching digital content. Probably no gaming.

The soundbar will be wall mounted beneath the TV.

So far I have been reading around the LG SJ9, Philips Fidelio B5 and Samsung HW-k850, but who knows what else I should think about! Everything has its pros and cons I guess!

Any advice welcomed!
    Ta
    S

2. Snacker

Snacker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    So I think I am circling in on a choice of two. Either the Samsung hw-k850 or the Yamaha ysp 2700.

Any thoughts as to whether one particularly outperforms the other? The Yamaha is a touch cheaper but also a couple of cm deeper (so will protrude from the wall a bit more).

Cheers
    S

3. narmi47

narmi47

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Samsung HW-K850 is £699 in JL ATM.
    Demoed it yesterday and it really is impressive.

4. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    It's a tricky decision. The Yamaha costs less (£580) but needs the addition of the wall mounting bracket (£50) so is still slightly cheaper than the Samsung HW-K850. The Yamaha uses multiple speakers to create the effect of a full 7.1 system whereas the Samsung supports Atmos but only in a 3.1.2 configuration. I suspect you will get a better surround sound experience from the Yamaha as little content uses Atmos at this time.

The Yamaha via its MusicConnect allows multiform ranging from cheaper all-in-one speakers to separate systems so may prove useful in the long run. AirPlay support is also standard with the Yamaha so would be a consideration for Apple users.

For me I would go with the Yamaha or spend the extra and get the HW-K950 with full 5.1.4 support.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    Did I miss the reasons for not sticking a PLAYBAR below the TV ?

Joe

6. Snacker

Snacker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is more a case of my original mistake that I would need it to stream music via sonos, but in my set up I can achieve this just via optical cable from sonos connect amp.

I can therefore look at alternative / better options to provide more surround sound possibilities and I guess a wireless sub in for a similar price is nice.

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    Room - how close to the ideal is your Room/Room Layout and seating positioning, that will dictate your Surround Sound expectations.

Soundbar - you can add a CONNECT (rather than a CONNECT:AMP) via Optical or 2RCA if you wish to integrate a third party Soundbar into your SONOS multi-Zone system.

Joe

8. Snacker

Snacker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Joe

The room is relatively square (about 4x4.5m) with a bay window opposite the wall on which the soundbar would go.

Seating distance 2.5 to 3.5 meters back.

Possibly dim, but had assumed I would need the connect amp given the record player would have no amplification, but I guess that would be handled by the soundbar itself now I stop to think about it! I guess that saves me £100!

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    Room - sounds OK for attempting Surround Sound from a Soundbar.

CONNECT:AMP - lacks Optical Out anyway so your £100 is safe :)

£100 - or is it :) You will need to ensure your TT has pre-equalised Line Out or add an RIAA Equalisation ‘Pre-Amp’ between the TT and the Line In on a CONNECT or your preferred Soundbar.

Joe

10. Snacker

Snacker
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Excellent point on the optical out!!

I have a preamp which will go between the TT and the Connect so that should be sorted.

Now just back to the coin-toss of which bar. I am probably leaning towards the Samsung, just on the basis that a 15.4cm projection from the yamaha sounds like it will stick out like a sore thumb. Appreciate there is only 2 and a bit cm difference, but hey, size matters and all that ;)

My only worry with the samsung now is some review say the sound quality for music can be a little off, but whilst I love my music I am no purist audiophile so I am hoping it would not be noticeable to my ears (and it is not like there will be a side by side comparison in the room anyway!).

Deep breath, bit more reading, then take the plunge tomorrow I think.

S