Question Looking for some suggestions on an encoding project

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by DemonseedElite, Jun 11, 2018.

1. DemonseedElite

DemonseedElite
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been an avid DVD/Blu-Ray collector for years. The best picture and sound quality are important to me. I've recently decided to began a new project. Take my massive, unwieldy collection of over 1500 DVDs and Blu-Ray disks and rip/encode them all onto a monstrous NAS. I've already specced out a ~30TB Synology DS918+ unit but haven't committed to it yet (I have another, smaller NAS at home I'm using as a testbed).

What I'm looking for are suggestions for ripping the video, subtitling and English audio off the disks, and the playback system for organizing everything and playing it back to the screen.

I've so far messed around with MakeMKV, and have somewhat mixed opinions of it. I also have an nVidia Shield TV that I use mostly for Netflix/Hulu/etc which I can leverage. Finally I've messed with Plex as a organization/playback system also with mixed opinions. I can go into details if needed, but if you were going to begin a project to digitize a 1500 some disk collection, how would you do it? What would you use?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    If I had 30TB of space available on my NAS and wanted the best picture/sound quality then I'd simply rip the discs to ".ISO" files or VIDEO_TS/BDMV directories.

Best possible quality and you still have access to any special features, commentary tracks etc.

3. DemonseedElite

DemonseedElite
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about that, but is there anything out there that can organize, index and automatically mount and read a directory full of ISO files? A lot of my consideration is on the front-end.

4. Ensor

Ensor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Ah, sorry I can't help you there.

I've never liked fancy interfaces with descriptions and posters etc. For me all that just gets in the way; I prefer to organise my files in a directory tree on my server which allows me to quickly manually navigate to whatever I want to watch.

EDIT: You should try asking in the "Video Streaming Boxes & Services" forum, someone should be able to point you in the right direction there.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  5. Shimrod

Shimrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    If you've got an Nvidia Shield, have a play with Plex. I'm using a separate Plex server and the Shield as a Plex Client, but the Shield also works as a capable server as well. I've tried several media servers and for me, Plex gives the best in terms of usability for both movies, TV (from DVD) and music. I pay for the £30 per year subscription which gives some extra features, but try the free version first.

The other consideration with 30TB of storage is recovery in the event of disk failure- I would not fancy re-ripping 1500 disks. While you NAS may offer protection against a single disk failure (depending on configuration), you also need to be aware of physical disaster affecting multiple disks. I use cloud storage with Backblaze for back up of my server. It offers unlimited storage( mine is around 4Tb), although you might want to check for any fair usage before choosing them for 30Tb.

Edit: I use makeMKV, which will let you rip selected audio tracks and subtitles, but don't generally bother with any of the extras. Plex does have facilities to deal with extras if you want - there is a naming convention that should be used for the files.