1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking for some speakers - £500 budget

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chrissieboy, Jan 28, 2005.

1. chrissieboy

chrissieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi all,

Looking to buy some speakers this weekend for my denon pma6.5 amp 40x40w (going to Sevenoaks in Peterborough) and intend to spend no more than £500.

A few questions, wondering if anyone can help:

* Floorstanders or bookshelf?
    * Tempted by KEF's Q4. Any thoughts?
    * Do I need to upgrade the amp? Will I really benefit over the Denon speakers that were supplied with the amp a few years ago?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Many thanks

C

2. p3rfect

p3rfect
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got some mint condition Dynaudio Countour 1.1's for 500 quid and they blew me away. Look ex dem or second hand and you will get so much more for your money.

3. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i have a pair of Kef Q7's - i know they a bit higher than the Q4's however to me my Denon 3805 isnt a big enough amp for them - no way am i saying a 3805 is weak! Thats supposed to be 120w x 7, and i use it a lot in 120w x 2 (which dynamily is 140w in the manual, which is still not enough). Well something like Q4's I think ure need a bigger amp for them, as 40w x 2 isnt much theses days, and I know KEF recommend having a bigger amp than the speakers can cope with so the amp doesnt go into overdriving at loud volumes and can tick over. At 40w your probably be running the amp hard and your get into all sorts of problems with clipping etc.

someone else might totaly disagree with all that, but thats what ive picked up over the couple of years doing it all.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    You can get the Kef Q4's for £290 from Hi Spek.