Looking for some plumbing advice

bouncer

A few months ago my downstairs neighbour had an issue with there pipes backing up, Since it has been sorted out I've started to have a different issue, After the toilet has been flushed a few times, you can start to hear a "glug glug" coming from the bath plug hole, a while later there is a smell in the bathroom, If I run the water in the bath for a few seconds, That is enough to stop the smell, Untill the toilet is flushed again,

There is not alot of elevation for drainage of the bath, Im wondering if when flushed its causing a vaccum pulling the water out of the baths U bend?

Basically, Ideas on the issue and suggestions on a solution?

Cheers

Cocksure

x3j3UKN

Sounds like you need to fit an air admittance value or change the bath trap to one that has it built in as like you say the flushing of the toilet is sucking the water out of the bath trap
https://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-af32w-air-admittance-valve/42968

McAlpine Flat Bottom Bath Trap with Air Admittance SMP10V - 40003218 - Plumbers Mate Ltd
Are the flat bottom things easy to retro fit?

Out bath drains a little slowly and it causes the bathroom sink to gurgle. The sink is closer to the main outlet so I guess I have the same issue as the Op?

Would this solve that gurgling and slow draining?

MrFraggle

Distinguished Member
Are the flat bottom things easy to retro fit?

Out bath drains a little slowly and it causes the bathroom sink to gurgle. The sink is closer to the main outlet so I guess I have the same issue as the Op?

Would this solve that gurgling and slow draining?
Not sure whether it would solve your problem but the actual fitting would not be a difficult job though removing the old pipework might he a bit tricky if the collars are tight. Might need something like this.
Wide Jaw Plumbing Pliers

Cocksure

Lack of air flow will cause slow drainage, that said it’s amazing just how quickly traps especially bathroom sinks get filled up with muck which would also effect drainage speed.

You can buy built in air admittance valves for bathroom basin traps (both bottle and P trap) which are really easy to change as it’s pretty much a straight swap. The bath one is a bit more work as it’s virtually certain that you will need to alter the 1 1/2 inch waste pipe, but that said it not a hard job to do.

McAlpine Anti-Siphon Bottle Traps | Plumbing Traps

McAlpine Anti-Siphon Tubular Swivel P Traps | Plumbing Traps

Last edited:

hufartd

Sounds like you/your downstairs neighbour still have a partial blockage.

bouncer

Update, Haven't fitted an air admitance valve yet, However my upstrairs neighbour flushed the toilet today whilst I was showering and I heard all the plug gargle, Would they be better with the air admitance valve or me? Or both? The bath is super low to the ground and uses a super shallow trap, Id have to run the trap off to the side of the bath where I would install the air valve, and then continute back down and along to the existing waste pipe/

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
You have a blockage downstream.

As a side note- the very shallow bath traps should never be fitted to a Bath that is going to a soil stack. It’s in the regulations, only the deeper seal traps. The shallow type are designed purely for Baths going into a Gully or Hopper.

bouncer

I can't get a look to verify how the drainage is setup due to the pipework being boxed in and then wetwalled ontop of it, As its a private let im not up for ripping it out to verify!

Does that rule apply to Scottish properties?

Last edited:

brunation

A few months ago my downstairs neighbour had an issue with there pipes backing up, Since it has been sorted out I've started to have a different issue,

Do you know how it was solved? Professionally?

However my upstrairs neighbour flushed the toilet today whilst I was showering and I heard all the plug gargle,

As its a private let im not up for ripping it out to verify!

Is this a tenement flat? Are any of the neighbours owner occupiers?

bouncer

Do you know how it was solved? Professionally?

I know DynoRod came out to deal with downstairs, But they dont know anyting about what was done.

Is this a tenement flat? Are any of the neighbours owner occupiers?

Not a tenement, None of the neighbuors are owner occipiers, Its 6 flats all privately owned by different people all managed through different letting agents, with no factor.

ashenfie

stay away from DynoRod, they will just charge the max for something you don't need.

I would say that when the other flat pipe where cleaned it move dirt around and is causing you an issue.
Step 1 . Get a pipe unblocked pump and use it to flush hot ware and drain cleaner thought the system, and see if that sorts you issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom