Looking for some expert advice please

mikejjj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My son is off to University next month and has recently bought himself a new Macbook pro, he's new to Mac and i have never owned anything Apple so i/we have very little idea of what's what. My question is i would like to buy him something to act as an external hard drive for his pad say a few Terabytes for him to store his work and stuff on just incase the worst happens like his Mac get's knicked etc. Anyhow i have been informed that some Mac gear can automatically backup his work on a daily basis by him simply connecting to his WiFi :confused: can any of you Mac people out there advise me on what would be the best thing to buy him please?
Any help would be greatly recieved
thanks
Mike..:)

What you are talking about sounds like time machine. Time machine is the app on the mac and requires some sort of network or directly attached storage (eg, external drive or a time capsule).

As suggested, it sounds as though Time Machine would be the most appropriate solution. Time Machine comes as part of the operating sytem, but is best utilised in conjunction with an external hard drive rather than the inbuilt HD. Maybe buy your son an external HD for use in conjunction wwith Time Machine?

Time Machine is the built-in backup that works with your Mac and an external drive (sold separately) or Time Capsule. Connect the drive, assign it to Time Machine, and start enjoying some peace of mind. Time Machine automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies, and documents. But what makes Time Machine different from other backup applications is that it not only keeps a spare copy of every file, it remembers how your system looked on any given day—so you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past.

Mac 101: Time Machine

Would you or your son prefer the external backup be via wireless or would a wired external drive also be of interest? Do you have a budget in mind for this or any idea of the size of HD you'd want to buy?

Time Capsule is one option if wanting a wireless solution:

ack up a lifetime's worth of memories with Time Capsule, a wireless hard drive that works seamlessly with Time Machine in OS X. It’s also a full-featured 802.11n Wi-Fi base station with simultaneous dual-band support. Choose from 2TB and 3TB models.1

Time Capsule - 2 TB - Apple Store (UK)

Time Capsule - 3 TB - Apple Store (UK)

Last edited:
Wow guys that was a quick response, thanks for the info. Ideally wireless backup would have been prefered but the reviews on the provided link for the Time Capsule don't look that great so what would you say about buying a decent brand/capacity external usb2 instead ?

Wow guys that was a quick response, thanks for the info. Ideally wireless backup would have been prefered but the reviews on the provided link for the Time Capsule don't look that great so what would you say about buying a decent brand/capacity external usb2 instead ?

That would be fine. Either USB, Firewire or Thunderbolt interfaces will be supported. I'd suggest you look at portable solutions if wanting to use the drive in conjunction with a laptop. Western Digital is a popular make, but by no means the only option available. You can get a Western Digital USB2 My Passport Portable 1TB HD for about £80.

External Portable Hard Drives Overview

For what it is worth, I've been using a timecapsule since they've been launch. First backup you should do via Ethernet to get the speed, then thereafter wireless works absolutely perfectly fine without having to connect anything. Just be on the same network. They are brilliant.

It depends whether WiFi will be available in his pad. The Time Capsule is a great solution but you may be duplicating what is already available if a wireless router is installed. A WD My Book Live would give WiFi access at less than half the price. You can also access it remotely over the internet. If he would be using the MacBook on a desk or table and did not have or need WiFi then the WD My Book for Mac would be ideal.

You may want to look to see if the external unit can be secured ie via Kensington lock or some such device.

When my daughter entered university last year, the MacBookPro that I purchased for her was supplemented by purchasing a G-Drive mobile hard drive - with usb and firewire connectivity, from the AppleStore.

G-Tech G-Drive Mobile 1TB FW/USB SLV - Apple Store (UK)

As the MacBookPro is portable, I wanted her to have as portable a backup drive that was as portable - for use in her dorm-room and on campus, via TimeMachine (on her Mac).

For security, the drive can be hidden away in her dorm-room, away from her Mac, so that if any tea-leaf takes the Mac she at least has all her work secured on her hard-drive.

Talking of security, I also invested in 'undercover' security software - to aid recovery of said Mac if stolen - http://www.orbicule.com/undercover/mac/index.html

Thanks alot guys for helping me out with all this advice especially the security software, that's something i hadn't thought about but will certainly put into play.
Mike.

That security software is brilliant. You can also use Find My Mac using iCloud for a similar tool which is free. No comparison to the full security option but a bare minimum I would say just in case the unthinkable happens.

From the sounds of it would i be correct in thinking Uni students have issues with their gear getting knicked, i may either i'll have to buy the lad a safe or maybe he can take our Rotty with him, save me walking him mind now the lad's leaving lol.

I never experience any thievery while I was at uni, and I include all the people I knew too.
However, I was guilty of leaving my dooropen/unlocked a couple of times so it could happen.

Have you considered something like backblaze? Works great on mac and absolutely no way it can be stolen :)

From the sounds of it would i be correct in thinking Uni students have issues with their gear getting knicked, i may either i'll have to buy the lad a safe or maybe he can take our Rotty with him, save me walking him mind now the lad's leaving lol.

I recommend all home-owners have insurance on their property. This doesn't mean that all households have issues with their stuff being nicked, but paying the insurance premium gives peace of mind.

Similarly, buying security software for your MacBook Pro gives peace of mind just in case your prized possession should go astray. Sure, you can replace the Mac, but can you replace the work on it so quickly?

Not only that, but if they were to leave their bag somewhere by mistake then that would aid with finding it, amongst other uses.

To be honest a dropbox subscription Would cover the needs of backing up work..

For what it is worth, I've been using a timecapsule since they've been launch. First backup you should do via Ethernet to get the speed, then thereafter wireless works absolutely perfectly fine without having to connect anything. Just be on the same network. They are brilliant.
How long have you had it? I keep reading reviews saying they conk out after 2 years. It's this whch keeps me from considering one.

Last edited:
How long have you had it? I keep reading reviews saying they conk out after 2 years. It's this whch keeps me from considering one.

29th February 2008 :D And yes the first one died on me, Apple replaced it no issues or questions asked and it came with a secure data destruction certificate :) The second has been fine so far for the last three years...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom